staining a fiberglass entryway UNIT

Old 03-03-04, 05:07 PM
thebookpusher
Visiting Guest
staining a fiberglass entryway UNIT

We had just had a new fiberglass unit (door and sidelights) put on our front door. The area receives a lot of direct sunlight here on the North Carolina coast. We intend to stain the door, molding and sidelights. The only problem is that the molding is wood and the rest is fiberglass. The wood is several shades lighter than the fiberglass. We have been advised to use a gel stain made for fiberglass on the fiberglass areas. Will we ever get the fiberglass and wood the same color? Do we need to seal the entire thing after staining? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-04, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have never used the 'gel stains' for fiberglass before, so sorry, can't help much there.

But if you are able to stain the pieces, then yes I would suggest coating with varnish or polyurethane, depending on the type of stain used. I'm not familiar with the gel stain, so I can't be more specific.

Old 03-03-04, 06:56 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know alot of staining fiberglas,But I know gel stain is advisable for staining vertical surfaces. Try a liquid stain for the wood of the same tint . Test it on a small peice of wood if you have any extra pieces of that type around . With a liquid stain you can apply it heavier and in more than one coat to get a darker look. The problem you may have is you achieve a deeper tone to the wood as compared to using a gel stain and it may not match in that aspect. You want UV protection on the wood so I would use minwax Helmsman Spar varnish on it. You may get a better reply to your question in this forum so check back.

Old 03-03-04, 07:36 PM
thebookpusher
Visiting Guest
Thanks to both of you. The fiberglass unit is "stain quality" and was a premium brand, so I know it will take the stain well. Using a UV protector sounds like a great idea.