Painting archways

Old 03-07-04, 04:57 PM
bambam11
Visiting Guest
Painting archways

We are painting our livingroom and dining room green and entryway cream. Each room is separated by an archway. We are painting the wood trim white. My question is what color to paint the archways. We have them painted trim white but the Mrs wants to paint them green. Is there a correct color to paint tnem.

Old 03-10-04, 11:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if every room is separated by an arch, and all your other trim is white, then i vote for all white arches, too. they are a really neat architectural element in your home, and painting them white, like your trim, sets them off as something special. painting them green like your walls will just make them blend away.

plus, if the 2 rooms on either side of the archway were 2 different colors, then you'd have the problem of deciding which color to paint the archway.........then what?!?! treat the arches like you would the trim or even the ceiling ~ white.

i had an old house just like yours once, and i painted all the arches white, just like all the other fabulous old woodwork. and it looked great!

Old 03-10-04, 05:23 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
One way we decide which color the doorway or archway should be is to look at the floor there. If it changes from carpet to hardwood, or something similar, we look to see where the floor changes. If the change is dead in the middle of the door, then you make the call. But if it changes at the edge, treat the door as part of the room that contains the flooring in the doorway.

Does this make sense?

Old 08-23-10, 04:25 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint the underside of a simple archway. If the rooms are painted two different colors,paint the underside of the archway the lighter color of the rooms. If both rooms are the same color, consider painting the underside of the arch a lighter color like white or cream.I think green is also match the existing colors combination of the rooms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: