Paint Flow Problems

Old 03-07-04, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint Flow Problems

Is it just me getting old, or is the paint nowadays just plain lousy quality compared to say, in the 70s and 80s?

I keep buying top-line paint from Kwal, DiamondVogel, SW, etc. but the stuff seems to roll on thin, and when I use oil-based enamal and brush it, all I get are brushmarks. Didn't used to be that way, and I'm using Chinese bristle brushes for the oil-paints tool. The paint just doesn't seem to flow like it used to.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-04, 06:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
YOUr right it doesn't. Ever since they took the lead out it went downhillnad came out with stricter VOC limits

Old 03-08-04, 04:06 PM
Funny, I keep complaining that Ben Moore is too thick. Looks like pudding sometimes when I pour it into the tray. Good for walls but not so good for trim (latex that is). I can paint casing with minimal brushmarks only when using Floetrol and then I have to be very careful about drips. I have noticed that adding a sigificant amount of Floetrol reduces the sheen somewhat and may make the paint less resistant to damage.

I have to paint a couple of 8" wide doorway jambs. It's obvious that they were sprayed with latex because there are no marks whatsoever and light reflects very evenly. It's gong to be a challenge to duplicate this brushing with latex or even oil. I can see that one advantage of oil is that it's fairly easy to fix mistakes by sanding. On my first door casing I had terrible brush marks so I tried to sand them (and the drips) out and that was not a fun experience.

Last edited by AlexH; 03-08-04 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-08-04, 04:20 PM
Yeah, most oil finish products are weak nowadays because of the VOC limitations. Ben. Moore's Satin Impervo used to be like pudding straight out of the can.