Mixing enamel paint w/ water based polyurethane?

Old 03-16-04, 07:34 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mixing enamel paint w/ water based polyurethane?

Hi (again!)

I was reading an article where someone recommended mixing latex enamel paint: 4 parts to one part of semi-gloss polyurethane, in this case, for kitchen cabinets for a really hard durable finish.

I've never heard of this before. Any experience with this method. I surely would never attempt it unless I heard more than one take on this procedure.

Thanks,
Donna

Old 03-16-04, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have never heard of this. I have asked paint and primer reps what would happen if I mixed primerA with sealerB to perform in a different/better way, and they always remind me that I'm NOT a chemist.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of products on the market to satisfy any need in the painting industry.

Old 03-16-04, 10:19 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clearer....

The paint/poly mix was applied AFTER the primer.

probably would come out strange, too.

Donna

Old 03-16-04, 11:29 AM
I meant the same for paint. I have personally asked about mixing 2 primers, one for hardness, one for tack or tooth for wallcovering.

But the same goes for paint. I had an apprentice accidently mix a gallon of semi-gloss with a gallon of flat, then rolled it on the wall. It looked bad.

But I would also say, hey why not. Mix the 2, test drive it on a piece of spare drywall. See what it looks like. It might look real cool, but I would be concerned in the performance of the mix, it might not harden or cure right, or not bond to the wall.

Old 03-16-04, 01:07 PM
I've never heard of mixing paint and poly, but I've used poly after the paint dried to give a more durable surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: