Who makes the best primer?

Old 03-16-04, 01:40 PM
Chris Perkins
Visiting Guest
Post Who makes the best primer?

Hello everyone,
I'm finishing my basement and I'm currently at the priming stage. My house is 2 years old and the basement is quite dry. I'm trying to determine who makes the best primer/sealer out there (in your expert opinion of course). I've heard good comments regarding primer/sealers made by Kilz, Behr, and BIN. With price not being a factor, who should I go with guys? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-04, 02:38 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For new drywall I like Kilz 2 Latex or SW Prep Rite Pro Block Latex,if you really arent concerned with cost. When you get into latex primers any good name brand is decent

Old 03-16-04, 02:51 PM
Ben Moore's Fresh Start, B.M. Regal First Coat, Porter's Blankit, Sherwin's Prep-Rite

Old 03-16-04, 02:59 PM
JonBurrows
Visiting Guest
If your basement remodel has new drywall or you used 1x4 pine for trim that your looking to hide knots, I havent found anything better than Kilz original. I have tried Kilz latex and found it didnt have the covering ability on my pine trim as did the original, but the smell is much better and clean up is quick. As for Kilz original; open a few windows or you'll be totaly incoherent after an hour.... clean up is not fun either..... but it works great!

Old 03-17-04, 04:52 AM
T
Primer

I always preferred Zinnser primer/sealer over BIN.

Old 03-17-04, 05:39 AM
JonBurrows
Visiting Guest
I think you mean you prefer Zinsser Bin (Zinnser makes BIN) over Kilz brand. Either way, both have exceptional covering ability... but I loose fewer brain cells working with Kilz....

Old 03-17-04, 04:30 PM
With the new VOC regulations, all the oils have changed, and now I don't like any oil product over bare drywall. But I do like the BIN over bare wood.