Bathroom Ceiling over peeling paint

Old 03-17-04, 09:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Bathroom Ceiling over peeling paint

COLOR=crimson]I'll be spending Saturday peeling the rest of the paint off the bathroom ceiling. What should I do to prep the ceiling and/or prime and/or just paint to not have to do this again?[/COLOR]
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-04, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry, I don't recall as to hearing why the paint was peeling, or any other details about this project. Could you enlighten me?

Old 03-18-04, 03:20 AM
Guess I didn't give enough info but I don't really have much. I'm assuming that the paint is coming off because of the heat and humidity. (Daughter taking 20 minute steamy showers.) It's peeling right off the ceining. No idea of what kind of paint was used other than that it is semi-glossy.

I guess my question is . . . . once I get the mess down. What can I do to be sure that whatever I put up there doesn't eventually start peeling again. Guess I'll have to sand the ceiling but then do I prime it? Is there a particular type of paint I should use either as primer or final coat?

Old 03-18-04, 03:54 AM
There should be an adequate exhaust fan in the bathroom to keep the moisture under control.

After the peeling paint is removed, clean the surface with TSP or spic and span. Prime with a top quality primer such as: Zinsser 123, then paint with a top quality acrylic, latex paint. Generally, semi-gloss paint is used in baths for ease of cleaning.

Hope this helps.