Sparkely textured paint

Old 03-18-04, 07:01 AM
mark8076
Visiting Guest
Sparkely textured paint

My wife wants our bathroom painted with this new sandy textured paint that has tiny gold flecks that sparkle in the light. Has anyone ever worked with this type paint before? I was wondering if it was difficult to get an even look and if it was hard to touch up.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-04, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about. If its the kind I've seen, it most likely is hard to apply evenly, and even harder to t/u.

I refuse to do these finishes for customers because they usually need to be applied by sprayer to give a good uniform coat. And if the customer saw this on HGTV or at HD they are shocked by the price to fire up a sprayer and do it correctly.

A painter I know has done a couple of these finishes, namely 'Sandstone', and he said he acheived a decent look to it by masking off every edge in the room, trim, ceiling, and walls. Did one wall at a time. Used a brush and layed it on fairly thick in random X patterns. After dry, did a 2nd coat in random X patterns, slightly different than the first coat. He advised expect it to take much longer than regular painting, and buy twice the amount of paint than you think you need.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Old 03-26-04, 10:03 PM
S
skl
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only real way is to apply the "sparkles" separately. The flakes can be applied on a "wet" wall either by a mechanical air spray or by using a plastic applicator that can be purchased at any home store. Once you achieve the effect you want apply the top clear coat.