Painting plastic - Help

Old 03-19-04, 01:14 PM
2lady2
Visiting Guest
Painting plastic - Help

I would like to paint the plastic sheeting (it is the plasticy stuff that most lights are covered with. At least I think it is plastic) that covers a florescent lighting fixture in my kitchen. I would like to make it looked kind of stained glass. The fixture has two, 2-bulb light fixtures and is surrounded by wood. Does anyone know what type of paint I should use and where I could find some kind of stencil to use for the design. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-04, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any type of paint that would work for this. Most all paint I deal with is opaque, and you would want something at least partly translucent. I'm sure there is something out there for this, just not sure where to look. Maybe a craft store?

Old 03-21-04, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes, there is definitely faux stained glass paint available at craft stores. and i'm almost sure it would work on plastic. it's relatively inexpensive, so it's worth a shot.

it comes in squeeze bottles with pointed tips. there's a "lead" one, and then tons of colors to choose from, plus a "clear" one. there are even pattern books available.

basically, you do the "lead" lines first and let them dry, then fill in the interior spaces/shapes with the colors.

i used it on a hanging light fixture in a kitchen years ago with great results. i'm sure it would work for your light as well. i got mine at a Hobby Lobby. wish i could remember the name of the stuff......sorry!

good luck!