when to prime

Old 03-21-04, 03:54 PM
dhein
Visiting Guest
when to prime

My husband is insisting you don't need to put primer on new drywall. He says that the first coat of paint can be the primer. Actually, that's what he's always done for 30 years and we've never had a problem -- until the previous post I just submitted. We're rebuilding two rooms. Should I insist we prime the drywall first, or is it not necessary? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-04, 06:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, paint is not primer. It makes a difference to use PVA primer on wallboard then paint it. Try it and see. Besides, primer is cheaper than paint.

Old 03-21-04, 06:05 PM
I always prime bare drywall. Why waste expensive paint as a primer coat? Plus primer is made with better bonding agents than paint, so it 'primes' the surface for a better looking finish coat. That is why its called ......primer.

Old 03-23-04, 06:31 PM
P
Like PWG and Chfite said you should use a PVA primer (polyvinyl acetate). It allows the surface to become universally porous which allows the paint to dry with an even sheen. Without primer some areas of the wall would absorb more resin from the paint which could result in shiny patches. Any time you are painting new drywall you should use a PVA primer first