Painting Smooth Wall

Old 03-23-04, 07:46 AM
Randog_2
Visiting Guest
Painting Smooth Wall

I'm attempting to create the look of a Dining or Living Room that has chair rail and a very smooth wall finish below it and the standard texture on the top part of the wall.

I have skim coated the lower half and primed (latex).
The big question now...how do I create that smooth finish like the one that matches the trim? Don't want any brush strokes or "orange peel".

Some say use oil base primer and paint - (By the way this will be a designer color and can I get oil in any color I want?)

Others say the latex will do just fine using semigloss for the final coat. Use 3+ coats primer and sand in between.

Help...please include application techniques too!

Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-04, 06:17 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know if it makes a difference if you use oil or latex, . I wouldnt brush it on but rather use a short nap roller like a 1/4 inch, and try using a flat matte finish. Like SW Cashmere would be a good bet

Old 03-23-04, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil will level out better than latex, creating a smoother surface. Roll it on with a mohair nap.

But I agree, SW Cashmere and Ben Moore Regal Matte both go on like butter and leave a very nice smooth finish. And its much easier to apply than oil. Use a 3/8" nap for these.