Brush vs. Roller vs. Spray

Old 03-24-04, 06:35 AM
Mr_Funkenstien
Visiting Guest
Brush vs. Roller vs. Spray

We are getting ready to paint the interior of the house. Which is the best product to use...a brush, a roller, or one of those spray things you hook up to a gallon of paint. It seems like the spray thing would give the best surface and work the fastest. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-04, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you haven't sprayed before, you will be fighting it the whole way. And if a sprayer was an option, the little ones you hook to one gallon wouldn't do the trick very well. There is a lot of taping and maskin involved, and you have to thin the paint just right, and be able to adjust/choose the pressure, tip, etc. And if you are residing in the house at the same time, and don't want to trash the carpets, it would be a nightmare.

For novice/DIY painters, brush and roll is the most viable option in my opinion. There are a lot of good paints out there that will achieve an excellent finish by brushhing and rolling.

BTW, I only brush and roll myself.

Old 03-25-04, 07:24 AM
Mr_Funkenstien
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your insight.

As far as selecting a good paint that will give a good surface..is their anything i should look for on the can to signify that it would give the best surface.

Thanks
Brian

Old 03-25-04, 10:22 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you mean sheen, a lot of people use eggshell for it's cleanability but now BM came out with matte which they claim is like flat paint with cleanability. If I had to do it over I would use matte because the eggshell does show some shine especially in the darker colors.

If you mean brushmarks or other tool marks, IMO rollers give a perfect surface with little skill required. Rollers can get to within a 1/2" of the wall or so. I hit the corners with a brush and then come back with a medium load on the roller and get as close to corners and casings/trim as I can to get rid of the brush marks. I think getting perfectly painted walls is well within the capabilities of a DIY'er. Trim is a different story...