removing painted wallpaper

Old 03-29-04, 06:05 AM
jchughes
Visiting Guest
removing painted wallpaper

i just moved into a house where the previous owner has painted over all his old wallpaper. needless to say, the walls look horrible. what's the best way to remove the wallpaper now? can i score THROUGH the paint/wallpaper and use wallpaper remover to try to get the paper down? should i try sanding? would a heatgun work maybe? the last thing i want to do is try to make the walls smooth by putting a layer of joint compound on them.
my second question...even on the walls that didn't have wallpaper on them, he did a horrible job painting them and there are blobs of paint and roller marks everywhere. what's the best way to get those walls looking smooth again? PLEASE HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Second question first. Use a medium grit sanding screen on a sanding pole, or use 80 grit sandpaper. Sand everything smooth that you can. Then use joint compound the float out anything that wouldn't sand out.

First question. No, a heatgun won't work. If you don't want to float the walls after removal, then a paper tiger (scoring tool) is out of the question too. Paint is porous, so you can soak the painted paper, repeatedly, to try to remove it. You can use a papertiger if you have a 'light' hand, making sure not to dig into the drywall.

Removing painted paper is no fun at all, but it will come off. I hope all the people too lazy to try to remove paper and just want to paint over it that post here will read this thread and learn.

Old 03-29-04, 06:56 AM
jchughes
Visiting Guest
Thanks very much! i've used the paper tiger on other walls in the house that were just wallpaper with no paint over it. i'll use it on the painted wallpaper and hope for the best. i have no problem smooting out the wall if there are scoring marks in it after i get the paper off . i was referring to some previous advice i'd gotten telling me that i should apply joint compound over the wallpaper itself to smooth it out. that just sounded like it was trying to cover the problem as opposed to fixing it. i guess i'm in for a lot of work, but it'll be worth it. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!