Exterior Painting

Old 03-29-04, 02:50 PM
arniearni
Visiting Guest
Exterior Painting

I am going to be repainting my house and I have a few questions.I will be painting over the existing paint (yellow) with light blue. My current paint has some mildew I plan on pressure washing first. The Exterior of my home is tounge and groove wood which looks like texture 111 from a distance.Now the questions. What should I use to pressure wash with? Do I need to prime or coat the existing paint with anything? Should I use a brush or rent a sprayer? Is there anything wrong with using Exterior semi gloss as opposed to flat? Should I use a latex or oil base?Thanks in advance! Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What should I use to pressure wash with?
Use a garden sprayer, pump up 2 or 3 gallon type, and fill it with a bleach/water mix. Spray it on the moldy areas, and scrub it with a scrub brush, or broom, etc. Be careful of spraying this in the wind, use eye and skin protection. After removing the mold, then power wash with just water.
Do I need to prime or coat the existing paint with anything?
Yellow is notoriously hard to cover, so you will be applying 2 coats anyways. Why not make the first coat a primer, providing good adhesion for the paint, and its cheaper than premium exterior paint. Get the primer tinted close to the finish color. Have some mildew inhibitor added to the primer.
Should I use a brush or rent a sprayer?
Thats your call. If you have never sprayed, then don't. I always use brush and roller myself. I believe it lays on a better coat than spraying anyways. Less , masking and taping, less mess, less chance of ruining your neighbor's car with overspray.
Is there anything wrong with using Exterior semi gloss as opposed to flat?
Not at all. Most exteriors I do get flat or satin body, and semi-gloss for trim. But there is no reason at all you can't use s/g all the way around.
Should I use a latex or oil base?
If the house is currently an oil or alkyd, use an oil primer, and finish with latex. If its currently latex, stay with that system. I prefer the latex myself on exteriors, gives a better looking and longer lasting finsh IMO.

Old 03-29-04, 03:10 PM
arniearni
Visiting Guest
Thank You Very Much For Your Quick Reply. Your Advice Is Greatly Appreciated! Rob
P.S. Go Uconn!