Painting Heights of greater than 30ft

Old 04-07-04, 10:50 PM
Luke
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Painting Heights of greater than 30ft

I need to paint a house exterior of greater than 30 feet. I wish I could draw a picture. Imagine your looking at an A frame (30 feet from bottom to top)...Much of the 2nd floor of this A frame is obstructed by an attached-garage. Here's what I don't want to do: 1. Build scaffolding off of the garage roof (too time consuming + risk of leaking occuring based on where I nail boards in to support scaffolding). 2. Use ladder extenders to level out ladder on garage roof (this would surely result in me falling off the ladder).

I'm wondering if I should rent a boom that has a horizontal reach of about 20 feet and a vertical reach of 35 feet. Potential downsides might be hitting the house and causing damage, damaging land-scaping due to weight of boom. The cost to rent one of these is about 5 to 7 hundred per week. The upsides seem to be: potential ease of use, ease in which I could get from low to high heights, and it should speed up the time I could do a job when compared with just using a ladder. I also wonder about what kind of grading these things can exist on. Some of the work I will do will be on an angle.

Or....I'm wondering if a scissors lift up to 30 feet will work. Would it be possible for me to C-Clamp expandable scaffolding to lift so that it would touch the downside of the garage roof from left to right (thus, I could - in essence - walk on the gararge and paint.

How to reach high heights obstructed by roof. That is the question. Please reply. I want to be safe and I don't want to waste time or money or bruising on options that aren't worthy.

Please reply.

Thanks,

Luke

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-04, 05:02 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
have you checked on a pro?

Have you talked to any pros in your area? Given your fears, this might be the wisest course for you.

Old 04-14-04, 05:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with BobF. With an already landscaped yard, and the weight and frequent repositiioning of the carriage; at the very least, the time you save with the boom, you will loose repairing the lawn damage. I've never seen a house I couldn't rig to paint, but they involve using some of the technices that you said you wouldn't want to try. Good luck whatever you do, and don't try something that might alter the rest of your life.
John Sr.