exterior stained entry door/prowallguy

Old 04-14-04, 04:53 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior stained entry door/prowallguy

Prowallguy,
We've interacted here on the forum before about sprayer suggestions that a poster had asked about. As I said before; I've been doing this now for 32 years. I've got an ext. entry door; the type with the window lights on both sides the height of the door. The people let the door become weather damaged(not from the sun, but from the moisture, and rain). The door probably needed recoating with poly/sealer/spar,ect., 2 years ago. I've done a hundred or more of these doors before with no problems. I stripped it down completely, and sanded and wooled all areas of the door to where I thought is was a complete fresh start again. I stained the door with a golden oak and came back the next day to put my first coat of sealer on it, and the door has got milky looking areas on it . Not just at the bottom where the rain probably beat it much harder; but in various placed over the door face. I tried doing a small area with a second coat of the stain to see if it would eliminate the spots, but it was a no go. I'm left with the prospect of having to take the door down, and actually try to take 1/32(or something anyway) off the entire surface to try and make sure I'm past the damaged area. This is a $400,000.00 home, so they want it right at whatever the cost. Have you got any suggestions from one brother in the trade to another?
John Sr.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-04, 05:56 AM
You didn't use one of those stain/poly mix one-step products did you? And what brand of stain is it?

Old 04-14-04, 06:04 AM
I also forgot to ask what method was used to strip the door down? Chemical or mechanical?

Old 04-14-04, 06:50 AM
J
sorry buddy for the lack of info. I used a Bix paste stripper, and used an int/ext Minwax stain. I don't know what was on there to start with, and neither does the homeowner. It was a light stain with either sanding sealer or poly I suspect.
John Sr.
edit: I did use the stain and seals Minwax that requires a clear coat or two for the finish product.

Old 04-14-04, 02:55 PM
Is the door oak? Did you rinse/neutralize the stripper with water, and how long between the stripper and applying the stain?

My first thoughts are that it sounds like moisture of some sort is trapped inside. I would say wait a day or two, let the stain dry thoroughly, and try to wipe a little thiner on the milky spots. If that doesn't fix it, lightly sand the areas with very fine grit sandpaper or steel wool, and re-stain.

Let me know how it works out.

Old 04-14-04, 03:31 PM
J
These were my thoughts exactly PWG; I just wanted to get your take on it too because it's obvious to me that you've been doing this as long as I have, and I dare not reach the point in which I can't learn from another. Thank you for your time, and I will let you know the outcome.
John Sr.

Old 04-14-04, 04:13 PM
it's obvious to me that you've been doing this as long as I have
Nope, you got me beat. Only been in business since '88. You learn quick or fail like the rest.
I dare not reach the point in which I can't learn from another
I try to learn something new every day. As soon as I think I know everything, something comes along and humbles me instantly. Its Karma.