cabinets

Old 04-19-04, 11:31 AM
JamesnRhonda
Visiting Guest
cabinets

Painting older oak kitchen cabinets. I would like the grain to disapear. Any ideas. Numerous coats on a test piece with primer first and I still see the grain. I'm thinking of a wood filler but all i see online is some type to replace rotted wood. I was thinking of something you can spray or paint on and sand. Also should I use Latex or oil. After it's dry and cured can I sand with 400 grit wet paper and put a final coat on. Heck...forget it ...I will buy new ones.

Old 04-19-04, 05:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Apply 2 coats of alkyd enamel underbody primer, this should get rid of the grain coming through. Click here to see an example of this product.

Don't use wet sandpaper for cabinets. Use fine sandpaper, like 220 grit, or steel wool.

You can finish with latex or oil product of choice.

Old 04-19-04, 05:43 PM
JamesnRhonda
Visiting Guest
Woo hoo!...thats the stuff iI need. Thank you. Does anyone make spray paint and brush paint available in the same colors. I think I would spray the doors since i can take them off and use a very fine napped roller for the cabinets but i'm not sure if the colors would match.

Old 04-19-04, 07:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I notice you live in St. Louis. Florissant Auto Paint can take any paint you get and put it in a spray can. This works best with oil or alkyd though.

Old 04-19-04, 09:43 PM
JamesnRhonda
Visiting Guest
Woo Hoo again! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: