should i prime?

Old 05-04-04, 02:00 PM
mumzy
Visiting Guest
should i prime?

To All,

Have a 5 year old home and am painting my first childs room "Winnie the Pooh" colors. My question is do i need primer before i paint? The existing paint job is well done and still looks new. The existing drywall has flat eggshell white and ill be painting over with a satin enamel "Pooh" color. Any comments will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

mumzy

Old 05-04-04, 05:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Most likely, no. Just lightly sand the walls, wipe down, and paint away.

Old 05-07-04, 05:15 PM
Amatuer
Visiting Guest
Hi,

Just like to know if primer is required before painting an interior wall?

When is primer not required?

Old 05-08-04, 05:45 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Primer is used when there is an issue with adhesion, as in chalky surfaces, unstable surfaces (peeling, flaking, etc), damaged/repaired surfaces, dusty, (new drywall), moist/humid surfaces, dirty, rusty, etc.

Also when changing from one system to another, as in changing from an oil/alkyd to a latex.

Also for pigmenting reasons, as in when changing colors to prevent 1st from bleeding through to 2nd color, or blocking stains, (water, grease, nicotine, dirt/grime, etc).

I'd say primer is NOT required when surface in question is clean, dry, sound, dust/dirt free, the same type (oil/latex), and close to the same color.

If ever in doubt, prime. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-26-04, 05:17 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
to prime or not to prime

one other reason to prime is the color you are hiding is extremely hideous and will show through, or you have redwood tannin's or knot holes that keep coming through ( this happens to latex). I never prime latex if I am repainting with latex. If grease or smoke or crayon I TSP the room with a bucket of strong TSP (1/2 cup) in 2 gal. of water and a sponge mop. Then rinse with water, dry, spot prime the crayon or whatever with white-pigmented shellac ( bin ) primer in a spray can. If the surface is a hard gloss finish strong tsp will etch the surface enough so sanding isn't necessary. lots of luck jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: