Glazing over flat paint

Old 05-11-04, 01:55 PM
kaimbree
Visiting Guest
Glazing over flat paint

My livingroom, hall and kitchen are painted in a flat paint. Will I be able to apply a glaze over this to give it durability? If so, do I apply the glaze with a roller? as you would with regular paint?
Thank you for the help.

Old 05-11-04, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Glazing is usually applied over a satin or semi gloss. For durability, have you considered a water-based polyurethane, in a matte or satin finish?

Old 05-12-04, 07:45 AM
kaimbree
Visiting Guest
No, I haven't thought about using a polyurethane. It sounds alot better though. I like the fact that I can get the durability without the shine. How do I apply the polyurethane to the walls? And will it change the color, for example deepen the color?

Thank You, Kaimbree

Old 05-12-04, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You apply the poly just like paint, cut-in and roll on. It might change the color slightly, as in deeper or darker, but not much. Make sure it says flat or matte for a no shine result.

Old 05-12-04, 01:58 PM
kaimbree
Visiting Guest
Thank You so much for the help. I will try a sample board to find out the color change before applying it to the walls. I am so happy that I will be able to keep the matte finish and get the durability that I am looking for. Again Thank You for the help.
Kaimbree

Old 05-13-04, 04:07 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is it a regional term?

To me, a glaze is not durable. Its a finish used in faux finishing and needs a protective coating over it to maintain durability.

Old 05-13-04, 07:58 AM
kaimbree
Visiting Guest
I thought that glazes were used for added durability but now I know that the polyurethane is what I need for the durability that I am looking for.
Kaimbree

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: