bathroom painting ?s

Old 05-20-04, 01:31 PM
handydork
Visiting Guest
Question bathroom painting ?s

I am remodelling a bathroom and had 5 questions. I hope this is the right forum, it may overlap a bit with the wall and cieling folks.

Skylight over tub: I have "boxed" it in with green drywall
Cieling: nasty mildewed glossy paint, with bad patch jobs which I will repair with mud and sanding
Walls: stripped wall paper down to light blue flat paint

I want to texture EVERYTHING before painting.

1. Should I primer before and after texturing?
2. Is there any other prep recommended, like using TSP or TSP substitute?
3. Is there a single primer I can use for everything i.e. over new drywall, old paint, and new texturing?
4. The bathroom will be light pink semi-gloss...should I tint the primer?
5. Can you recommend paint brand that will work well in a bathroom..mildew resistant?

Thanks for any help!
Chris

Old 05-20-04, 03:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. Should I primer before and after texturing?
Apply 1 full coat of plain primer. Then on second coat, blend primer/texture. Then you can paint after that.
2. Is there any other prep recommended, like using TSP or TSP substitute?
On the previously painted walls, especially the moldy ones, yes, wash with TSP or Dirtex. A bleach/water mix will help kill the mold before washing. On the new/bare drywall, no washing required, just make sure its dust-free before priming. Dust kills adhesion.
3. Is there a single primer I can use for everything i.e. over new drywall, old paint, and new texturing?
Yep, use a high-quality latex primer. THIS one is a good example.
4. The bathroom will be light pink semi-gloss...should I tint the primer?
No, not really needed. If its a light pink, two coats should cover. 2 coats are usually needed with semi-gloss anyways for an even sheen.
5. Can you recommend paint brand that will work well in a bathroom..mildew resistant?
THIS is my favorite. Sherwin also has a 'bath' paint that I hear performs well.

Old 05-22-04, 01:08 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm just going to 2nd everything prowallguy said..... perfect advice. the kitchen and bath paint he recommended is more of a satin finish opposed to a semi-gloss. Zinsser makes a similar product that is a true semi-gloss and has a stated 5 year warranty on mildew. personally, the semi-gloss is a bit to high of a sheen for me, so I would stick with the benajamin moore product. and one other thing for emphasis, you must kill the mold before painting. some people seem to think that a mildew resistant paint can go right over mildew... and low and behold, 6 months later, the mildew is coming through the paint and there isn't anything you can do about it. I've found a 4-1 water to bleach ratio is best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: