Painting after patching...HELP!!!!!

Old 05-22-04, 06:25 PM
Intoofitness
Visiting Guest
Painting after patching...HELP!!!!!

I am a relatively new homeowner & recently painted my living room, prior to doing it I had some patching to do. I patched the holes and sanded off the access, then I painted with 2 coats.
Problem is...even after 2 coats I can clearly see where the spackle(in some places, it was repair tape & joint compound) was applied and it makes the room look ugly.
Since it was only minor repairs I didn't think that priming those area's was necessary. was this an incorrect assumption??

1. What did I do wrong, so that I won't do this again)

2. How do I correct this problem.

Thanks for any advice you can offer me.

JEFF

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-04, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your assumption was incorrect.
1. What did I do wrong, so that I won't do this again)
Patches, especially joint compound, should always be primed. The j/c and spackle absorb paint at different rates compared to previously painted surfaces. It allows the new paint to soak in, instead of laying on the surface and creating a smooth, even look. I assume when you look at the wall at an angle, you can see all the patches. This is called 'flashing'.
2. How do I correct this problem.
Apply a latex primer to all the patches. If its a lot of small spots, it might be easier to do a whole wall rather than a bunch of small spots. Then be prepared to repaint the whole wall, edge to edge. This definitely applys if you are using any paint with a sheen level higher than flat, such as satin, eggshell, or semi-gloss.

Old 05-23-04, 06:19 PM
Intoofitness
Visiting Guest
Painting after patching

Prowall guy,
I just wanted to thanks for the advice. Am I correct in assuming its OK to prime right over the the paint that I put up?? The paint is a dark plue(Behr calls it Liberty Blue)??
Thanks again.

JEFF

Old 05-23-04, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you can.

Old 06-23-04, 09:33 AM
patrickhenryhart
Visiting Guest
In addition to what "prowallguy" stated, in order to make your "new" areas of fresh patching spots come closer to matching the sheen of the older, lightly sand the 1st coats of the newly painted areas.<P>Had a customer tell me about this tip nearly 20 years ago. It works well.