What kind of primer for painting knotty pine paneling?

Old 05-29-04, 01:12 PM
dijoy
Visiting Guest
What kind of primer for painting knotty pine paneling?

I will be painting the wood paneling in my living room. I assume it's knotty pine. Whatever kind of wood it is, it's knotty, lots of texture and knotholes. It's stained very dark.

I want to do this right because I do not want to have to replace the paneling. I don't mind the texture; I just want it brightened up. It's too dreary as is.

Here's what I've been thinking. Wash it well. With what? Ammonia? TSP?

Rinse. Prime with Zinsser BIN. Paint with Benjamin Moore latex satin.

Am I on the right track? Is there a primer which would work better than the BIN?

Thanks.

Old 05-29-04, 03:40 PM
dijoy
Visiting Guest
I've been doing some research and I'm finding multiple sources which say if the paneling is rough, do not clean or sand it beforehand? Can I be that lucky?

It is rough and I've been wondering how difficult washing it would be.

I would love to be able to use Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 or its equlivent as opposd to B-I-N, since the Bulls Eye is latex, but I'm thinking there's probably too big a difference in the quality of the result to be able to get away with that and still feel confident that I'm getting a good paint job. Right?

Old 05-29-04, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think your plan is excellent. If you can wash it, use TSP. If not, try using a brush attachment for a vacuum, to at least remove most of the dust.

BIN is a great sealer, but any other oil based primer would work too. Just don't choose one that is labeled, stain killer, or stain sealer, like KILZ.

I know you want to use latex, but it just doesn't adhere well to wood thats been waxed, or varnished, or shellaced, or poly'ed, etc.

Old 05-29-04, 09:22 PM
dijoy
Visiting Guest
Thanks! BIN it is. I would rather use latex, but getting it done well is most important to me.

Old 05-30-04, 09:03 AM
mikeglan
Visiting Guest
I can't believe I found this post!

I too am going to paint over knotty pine.

A couple of slight differences, however...
Wood has been sanded down to smooth bare wood.
The final color needs to be a latex I have to match rest of existing paneling.

Is it agreed that oil primer would be best for my situation too?
And it sounds like some are saying latex over oil primer would be ok. ?

Thanks for any replies,

Mike

Old 05-30-04, 10:43 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BIN might be a bit overkill.... but if you don't mind using it, go ahead. If it was me, I'd use that Bullseye Odorless Oil-based primer to seal the knots in. Good luck!

edit: yes latex over an oil primer is fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: