Question/Bathroom

Old 06-15-04, 01:00 PM
Warham
Visiting Guest
Question/Bathroom

Hello,

My wife and I live in a condo that's about twenty years old. We've decided to paint the bathroom upstairs. When we first moved in, I tore down a cabinet on the wall that we didn't like, and underneath was the drywall, I believe. There apparently are two coats of paint in the rest of the room.

Two questions really. The existing paint seems to be peeling around the tub in a few spots, and around where the cabinet was the paint is rather bumpy. I did peel some of the paint off nearby with a scraper. It seems to come off rather easily with the scraper. Should I go ahead and scrape off the two layers throughout the bathroom, or should I just sand the edges of the existing paint. I'd rather do the best job, even if it involves scraping off the old paint. I got the time.

The other question is this. When I scraped off the paint nearby, I believe I scraped off the top white layer of drywall (there is a beige-like color exposed). Very small area. Do I just spackle over these areas (similar to spackling anchor holes), or is there another thing I should do first (primer). I'm fairly new at this, so any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Jason

Last edited by Warham; 06-15-04 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-04, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt try to scrape it all off, because you will probably come across areas, most likely tape joints, where the paint is going to be stuck on for good. Just scrape where you need to, and prime the edges of the area, (and the torn drywall), with Zinsser's GARDZ. Spackle or mud the edges and tears or defects, spot prime over repairs with GARDZ again. Then paint the whole thing with the finish color.

Old 07-05-04, 09:13 AM
jasonwarham
Visiting Guest
Jason Warham

your name wouldn't happen to be Jason Warham? I'm from canada w/ the same name.