Primer or PVA over Joint Compound

Old 06-17-04, 09:52 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
Primer or PVA over Joint Compound

Hi all. I am in the midst of remodeling my kitchen. I hung new drywall, and bought some Conco Pro PVA Primer for that. Is anyone familiar with that brand? Is it any good? (Haven't opened the can yet..)

The existing ceiling has some sand-like texture, stains, and some patches. Whoever hung it did a bad job and you can see all the taped seams. I am NOT rehanging it (getting tired!) so... I decided to coat it with joint compound and sand it smooth. Do you think I'll need more than one coat of mud? When I finish, should I use an oil-based primer, or PVA? (I'm thinking primer, just want to be sure..)

Also, have you ever used paint from Wal-mart? (Don't laugh.. I'm serious!)What can you tell me about that?

I've been reading a lot of old posts on here and learning sooo much. I'd like to thank the moderators for sharing your knowledge. As a single Mom on a budget, I can't afford to hire a pro (but trust me, I would if I could). Being able to come here and learn from you guys is the next best thing! Thanks so much!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-04, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on the stains you mentioned, the PVA should be fine.

I usually figure 2 coats of mud for anything, just too hard to get it completely smooth in one shot.

Walmart paint is made by one of the bigger companies, can't recall who right now, but its then re-labled by Walmart. Never used it myself, but always remember, you get what you pay for. After doing all that hard work, do you really want to topcoat it with cheap paint?

Old 06-17-04, 11:47 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
well, the labor was cheap too..

Although Consumers Reports was off a bit in recommending Behr paints, I have learned from that source that a higher price doesn't guarantee better quality. If I can get good quality and a good price - what could be better?

As for the stains, there wasn't a lot - just an area above the stove.. I can barely see it through the first layer of mud. I think you're right - I'll have to apply at least two coats.

I won't need to prime after painting with the PVA - or will I? (Please say no.. my neck hurts. I have two herniated discs and doing ceilings HURTS!) Of course - I'll do it if I must..

Thanks for your speedy reply BTW!

Old 06-18-04, 05:46 AM
No you won't, the PVA is a primer.

Old 06-19-04, 11:37 PM
J
Conco pro used to be carried by HomeDepot here (ca.). Its cheap, i've used their interior flat,and semigloss and found it to cover well. Wall mart is made by McCloskey (div. of Valspar) west of the rockies, and Sherwin Williams east of the Rockies i've been told. I've used their exterior satin and like it. I spray and coverage is better than rolling I find -but don't expect cheap paint to cover as easily as expensive paint (it has less pigment). lol .....jeff

Old 06-21-04, 06:26 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies! Since I am only painting a small area, it won't hurt to use better paint. Any recommendations for ceiling and wall paints for painting the kitchen?

Is the ceiling paint that goes on pink then turns white any good? With my bad neck I need all the help I can get.. (I'm thinking a scaffold that I could lay on while working would be great! )

I am planning to use a roller-cover with a 3/4" nap. Does the brand matter..? (I know you'll say yes..) Are there any good ones at Wal-mart, Menards or HD?

Thanks again for your help.. I almost feel like a pro!

Old 06-21-04, 07:23 PM
Any recommendations for ceiling and wall paints for painting the kitchen?
Any top line paint that is available in your area. Porter, Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, Muralo, Pittsburgh.
Is the ceiling paint that goes on pink then turns white any good?
I have never used it before, but I assumed the pink part was just a gimmick. I have no idea of the coverage and/or hiding capabilities of this brand.
I am planning to use a roller-cover with a 3/4" nap. Does the brand matter..?
3/4" is good, brand will help. There are many good brands, Wooster, Best-Liebco, come to mind. If you pay in the $4-$6 range, its bound to be decent. Don't try using a 100% lambswool, you will be fighting it, use a synthetic, woven or knitted type.

Old 06-23-04, 09:39 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
I went to a Sherwin-Williams store after work today, but they were closed.. (slackers!!)

I have been trying to find Benjamin Moore paint but have had no luck..

I'll post later and let you know how things come out.. what I have learned so far is that I hate sanding joint compound off the ceiling more than anything else I can remember ever doing in my life. (I felt as if I had died and gone to hell!!) Even with a cap on, safety glasses, and a NIOSH approved mask, I still inhaled the dust! Needless to say, I stopped at one coat, although two would have been better.

Thanks again for your posts!