How to paint second story walls on my house?

Old 06-19-04, 08:32 AM
lookin4help
Visiting Guest
How to paint second story walls on my house?

How do I paint the exterior walls on the second story of my house? The siding is horizontal lap boards. I will be using a roller and brush with an extension ladder to reach the top. Do I have to go all the way down the ladder every time I need to dip my roller or brush in the paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-04, 04:41 PM
Painterman
Visiting Guest
Painting second story walls (exterior)

Lookin'
You can bring a 5 gallon bucket assembly up the ladder with you. this consists of a: 5 gallon bucket, a bucket screen, your roller assembly, a brush and a bucket hook or sometimes called "paint pot hook" (I like the ones with the short chain and a clip style attatchment vs. the bent wire style), all of which can be found at home centers, hardware stores, and paint stores. Don't fill the 5 gallon with more than say 3/4 a gallon of paint, it can get heavy. They also make 2 gallon Buckets and screens but you will not be able to use a 9" roller.

Old 06-20-04, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yep, what the Painterman said is true.

Or I prefer the 2-man method. One guy on the ladder using a roller/long pole, and hand it down to a guy on the ground to dip it.

Or we cut in with a brush everything high first, then roll from the ground using a real long pole.

Old 06-20-04, 01:07 PM
PaintJoy
Visiting Guest
I usually use a one of those newfangled buckets with the molded "grid" and brush pot, although the pot is usually too small and screws up anything bigger than a 2 1/2 in brush. Better to affix a magnet to the inside-you can find them with clips built on- and the steel ferrule (band around the brush that holds the bristles) will allow you to hang the brush that way. These buckets are smaller than 5s, and can be really handy. They're widely available for about 10 bucks. And yes, buy a good sturdy swivel pot hook.

Don't forget technique: run a few boards at a time, only as many as you can comfortably do while keeping the "wet edge," and run them all the way to an edge or break (windows etc).

Old 06-20-04, 05:06 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just bought a product that is about as wide a five gallon pail and ring shaped. It slides in the holes in the sides of an extension ladder. You can take a five gallon or smaller pail up on the ladder with you. Just don't fill it up too much. It works great. Just another option.