Paint Prep Question

Old 06-24-04, 10:50 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP FAST!!! Paint Prep Question

I'm going to be painting over original painted wall. It's white color in most places, while in others the white color is faded with a brownish stain.

my question is.. should i first paint a white flat base coat before painting my white color paint? or can i just paint my white color paint over it twice? i'll be painting with a wagner airless, so it should be ok right?

also, the wall is drywall type, so any specific paint i should use or stay away from? i noticed that the wall can easily get dirty. so is there any kind of paint coat i can use on top of my white color paint to prevent it from getting dirty in the future? i noticed that most walls painted white has this powder rough feel to it, so i want to know if possible i can get like a clear coat or something so i can whip the dirty off later. kinda like a car...?? does that make sense?

thanks,
rui

Last edited by ruirui; 06-24-04 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-04, 03:23 PM
You should be able to paint over it with 2 coats. If you see any of the browninsh stains bleeding through after the first coat, stop and use a primer for sealing stains instead.

For washibility and durability, use a satin, eggshell, or semigloss paint.

Old 06-24-04, 03:31 PM
R
Originally Posted by prowallguy
You should be able to paint over it with 2 coats. If you see any of the browninsh stains bleeding through after the first coat, stop and use a primer for sealing stains instead.

For washibility and durability, use a satin, eggshell, or semigloss paint.
ok.. i'll definitely consider the satin one. cuz the wall has some lumps on top of it or whatever it's called... for design effect i guess.

question is.. will either the satin, eggshell, or semigloss paint take longer time to dry?

Old 06-24-04, 07:50 PM
R
well ruirui, if you want a quick and slick job then get some semi gloss white and have at it.if you want it done properly then get yourself some 150 grit sandpaper and maybe even a sanding pole and sand those rough walls down,sounds like they were sprayed prior and not sanded being that they are rough and powder like.after a good sanding shop vac the mess and put a coat of Bin 123 primer on to cover the stains which sound like water or moisture marks which can bleed back through paint.if water marks they are then the wall could of been painted before the joint compund was dry or you should look into a leak from water pipes or from roof or window.if you are speaking of a basement area then thats another chapter..please write back if this is in fact basement walls.you can sand again if after the primer the walls still feel a little rough.as for paint Benjamin moore makes a Matte finish which is washable and not shiny.or if you dont mind shiny which will show more imperfections in the wall then a flatter sheen then go for a semi gloss.if you want the best of both worlds...low sheen,washable...then go with a satin or low sheen oil base paint.as for that wagner sprayer,unless your going for a big area or for speed..aka quick and slick..then brush and roll the room.

Old 06-25-04, 12:26 AM
R
Originally Posted by reelski
well ruirui, if you want a quick and slick job then get some semi gloss white and have at it.if you want it done properly then get yourself some 150 grit sandpaper and maybe even a sanding pole and sand those rough walls down,sounds like they were sprayed prior and not sanded being that they are rough and powder like.after a good sanding shop vac the mess and put a coat of Bin 123 primer on to cover the stains which sound like water or moisture marks which can bleed back through paint.if water marks they are then the wall could of been painted before the joint compund was dry or you should look into a leak from water pipes or from roof or window.if you are speaking of a basement area then thats another chapter..please write back if this is in fact basement walls.you can sand again if after the primer the walls still feel a little rough.as for paint Benjamin moore makes a Matte finish which is washable and not shiny.or if you dont mind shiny which will show more imperfections in the wall then a flatter sheen then go for a semi gloss.if you want the best of both worlds...low sheen,washable...then go with a satin or low sheen oil base paint.as for that wagner sprayer,unless your going for a big area or for speed..aka quick and slick..then brush and roll the room.
reelski.. it's going to be for the inside of the house. no basements. satin seem like a good choice to go with... so i'll look into those at home depot. any particular brands to go with from experience??

as for the spray.. i've steer away from it... i'm going with the brush and roll. now.. here is another questions... when i brush and roll.. can i just go crazy and roll everywhere... or should i go up and down? don't they make some satin paint that won't leave streak marks? i'm going for an off white color.

rui

Old 06-25-04, 05:10 AM
question is.. will either the satin, eggshell, or semigloss paint take longer time to dry?
No, they dry at the same rate as flat paint.
i'll look into those at home depot. any particular brands to go with from experience??
I'd dodge the Behr paints, lot of bad experiences with those.
when i brush and roll.. can i just go crazy and roll everywhere... or should i go up and down?
Rush in just the edges, and roll up and down. Do it in a consistent maner.
don't they make some satin paint that won't leave streak marks?
I don't think any paint is made to streak, it's how you apply it that will cause it to streak or not.

Old 06-25-04, 09:32 AM
R
Originally Posted by prowallguy
No, they dry at the same rate as flat paint.

I'd dodge the Behr paints, lot of bad experiences with those.

Rush in just the edges, and roll up and down. Do it in a consistent maner.
I don't think any paint is made to streak, it's how you apply it that will cause it to streak or not.
ok. so what does it mean by feathering the edges when ur rolling it up and down?

Old 06-26-04, 12:49 PM
When rolling, feathering means to gradually fade the paint out on the wall, as opposed to leaving a thick line of paint where you stopped rolling.

Old 06-28-04, 09:26 AM
R
cool! thanks for the help.