paint quality

Old 06-25-04, 04:56 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint quality

My wife and i are about to begin painting the interior of our new house. We had picked some colors out from Lowes. The swatches were from Eddie Baur and Waverly but i don't know how good those paints are. Also, how good is American Tradition from Lowes? Or should i just go to Sherwinn Williams? We plan on doing two coats for all the paints.

Thanks in advance

Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-04, 07:07 PM
P
Its made by Valspar. Not sure on the quality. I've used Valspar on exteriors and found it quite good. I've also used another Fleet Farm brand made by Valspar on interior and it was garbage. Personally I dont trust paint sold in those type of stores. I know you cant go wrong with Sherwin Williams in my opinion anyhow. If you buy enough from them they normally give a 20% discount. Its not cheap/ try the pro mar 200 or superpaint. I would also recommend Benjamin Moore. I would use that myself but I have no dealer nearby.

Old 06-25-04, 11:22 PM
P
thank you

From your reply and what i have read on this board, it seems as though Sherwinn Williams is a great buy. Are there different values of SW? I would like to get the best bang for my buck (as i'm sure everyone here wants to).

Thanks,
Pat

Old 06-26-04, 07:10 AM
P
The most expensive products are Everclean ,SuperPaint and Cashmere .If you want the best Semi-Gloss product get the Everclean. The least expensive interior is the ProMar 400 . I use it for ceilings, and for closets. For trim use the Pro Classic Waterbourne Acrylic, or classic 99 . The best bang for the buck their is the Pro Mar 200, if you buy enough of it they should give you a discount.

Old 06-29-04, 04:22 PM
R
PB, thus far i think this one sounds pretty good for me.

"ProMar 200 Low Sheen ES Enamel has a heavier feel and great wet hide. As a low sheen eg-shel, it is more durable than flat with better scrubs and burnish resistance."

I've never painted a house before so this will be my first time. so if this pro mar 200 will help me hide the streaks.. then i'm all for it. how much of a discount would they normally give you? also, can u use this pro mar for the bathrooms and kitchen, or do you have to get a different paint for those places?

Old 06-29-04, 06:38 PM
P
I don't mean to sound like I am a dealer for SW but try the ProMar200 Eg-shel not the Low sheen enamel. Most of their stuff is on sale now at 30% off thruough the 4th of July. Normally if you buy like 20 gallons or more you can ask for a price break. But not as good as 30% off like it is now

Old 06-29-04, 10:00 PM
R
cool.. thanks for the tip! so with the ProMar200 Eg-shel, would i still have to worry about streaking or will it also help hide it as well?

also, for the 30% discount.. does that apply to me if i only need 15 gallons? i'm planning on doing this during 4th of july...

Old 06-30-04, 01:06 PM
P
Thumbs up

Any paint will streak if its not brushed on properly. But yes its decent stuff. Check with a local store as to your last question cuz I'm not sure

Old 06-30-04, 01:16 PM
sher
Visiting Guest
not happy with American traditions

I have used American Traditions paint from Lowes. I was very unhappy with it -- and surprised, because Consumer Reports had rated it as the best interior paint?!?!? It is very runny and actually ran down and caused drips on the wall. I had to keep checking back over any section I had done to make sure drips hadn't started forming. Also, you could see the roller marks; it covered unevenly and left these stripes no matter how many coats I did.

I have also used Behr, MAB, and Dulux paints, but in the end I too recommend Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams. I think Ben Moore is a bit better, but use SW alot because the store is closer to me and a bit cheaper. I get the SW paint that comes in the navy blue can -- their premium paint.

I wouldn't get a separate paint for bathrooms and kitchen. Some recommend semigloss for those rooms, but most people don't like the look of that. An eggshell or satin finish is fine. In bathrooms that have showers (and steam rising), you might do the ceiling in a semigloss white rather than eggshell to better withstand the moisture and reflect light better. Some kitchen and bathroom paints have a mildew fighter added to them. I've never had a problem with using an ordinary paint, though. You can also buy the mildew fighter to add to the paint, but I never have.

Old 06-30-04, 01:28 PM
sher
Visiting Guest
Ben Moore tips

I just remembered that for trim paint, I prefer Benjamin Moore semigloss over any other paint. I have tried Sherwin Williams and others, but none compare to the coverage and quality of the Ben Moore semigloss. It goes on so easily! For the semigloss trim paint, be sure to get their premium brand -- Regal Aquaglow Semigloss.

But for wall paint, you can save money by getting the Super Spec brand from Ben Moore rather than the "regal" series.

I also like their Fresh Start primer very much, if you need anything primed.

Old 06-30-04, 01:48 PM
R
thank you guys for all your help. for sure i'm going to my local SW this saturday.