LOTS of questions

Old 06-30-04, 02:59 AM
snue
Visiting Guest
LOTS of questions

I am so glad to have found this site! I am redoing a very small bath, pulling up disgusting carpet, already took off wallpaper, now left with holes where towel bars, nail holes were, etc. Here are my questions

What is the best to patch holes with?

Bin or Kilz?

Do I prime baseboards and trim also after sanding out the nicks and dents? Do I sand the walls also?

Do I wash all walls and trim after I bleach? The bath has no fan, so I am having one put in, do I need to let it dry for a certain amount of time before I paint?

Do I need to strip the one cabinet before I paint, and can I use the same paint as the walls?

Can you paint sinks? A question as the sink is blue, not a bad color, just totally 70's. Maybe better to replace.

Vinyl or ceramic tile for a bathroom floor? Very small area.

I am doing this myself as my husband is NOT the handyman type, and does a terrible job because of a lack of patience. I am thorough, and want it to look nice. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-04, 04:43 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the best to patch holes with?
- I use joint compound. Large holes will need at least two applications to look good.

Bin or Kilz?
- Either. Some on this forum do not like Kilz, but I've not had any problems with it yet. Zinsser products (BIN is one, are excellent).

Do I prime baseboards and trim also after sanding out the nicks and dents? Do I sand the walls also.
- All patches need to be sanded and primed.

Do I wash all walls and trim after I bleach?
- what are you bleaching and why?

Do I need to strip the one cabinet before I paint, and can I use the same paint as the walls?
- No. You'll get better results with an oil-based primer and oil-based paint on the cabinet.

Can you paint sinks?
- not recommended.

Vinyl or ceramic tile for a bathroom floor?
- Your choice. Its a personal decision.

Old 07-03-04, 02:48 AM
snue
Visiting Guest
Do I wash all walls and trim after I bleach?
- what are you bleaching and why?

There is mold and mildew on the walls by the shower, and below the window. I wanted to kill all this before doing anything else to the walls. Is there something you recommend besides bleach? What do you recommend I wash the walls with, there is still some adhesive from the wallpaper, I know we will sand after patching.

Old 07-03-04, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can use bleach/water to slow down the growth of mold, or if its not a current or active problem, Tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) with water will work also.

You mention BIN and KILZ, but not sure exactly what you intend to prime with these. These 2 are specifically stain killers, and not necessarily primers. But the product depends on the application.

Wash the residual adhesive off the wall with water/DIF mixture, or water/Safe & Simple mix. Use a scrubby pad, like a BBQ cleaning pad or pot scrubber for the stubborn paste. If it won't come off, it can be sealed in with an oil primer or a couple coats of Zinsser's GARDZ or Scotch Paint's DrawTite.