opinions on Zinsser Roll-a-Tex product?

Old 06-30-04, 09:41 PM
tatsmj
Visiting Guest
Cool opinions on Zinsser Roll-a-Tex product?

I am in the middle of painting my dining room. Found that under the wallpaper that has been removed, I have 3 old plaster walls and one drywall along with a multitude of other "sins" (likely the reason the room was papered, duh! ). I want to paint because I am not fond of wallpaper, and I am searching for something to add texture to give the walls an even look since the old plaster has some texture and the drywall doesn't. Anyway, in searching the web, the only product I have been able to find is the Zinsser Bondex Roll-a-Tex. It appears to be a dry powder that is added to paint. I have not been able to get any assistance with this at the local paint stores. Does anyone have any experience with the product and does it work well. I have several rooms that could use something like this if it works well. Any suggestions or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-04, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have used the roll-a-tex many times. It will leave a rough, sand-like or popcorn like texture when applied. It depends on if its the fine or medium or corse texture. You mix it into the paint and let it sit about 1/2 hour to allow the paint to soak into it. Then mix it again, and roll it on. ( mixing is done by a drill and mixing paddle for the easiest way, its pretty tough to do with a stirring stick)

Usually 2 coats are needed to achieve an even texture. I suggest rolling one way (up and down) on the first coat, then the other way (side to side) for the second coat.

I have only used this on ceilings, never on walls. Not sure how durable it is, but keep in mind that any texture on the walls will collect dust, meaning it might be hard to clean, and might actually scuff your elbow if you brush it walking by.

Old 07-01-04, 07:12 AM
tatsmj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your input, prowallguy. Would you have any other suggestions for remedying the difference in wall texture, short of sanding down the plaster. I have put a considerable amount of time into a room that I thought would be fairly easy to remove paper and paint already. I don't want to invest any more time than is necessary, however...I do want to get it done right.

Also, if I use the roll-a-tex, should I add it to the primer or the paint.