In ProcessAdSlots.php line 39: Trying to access array offset on value of type null

painting exterior – brick, masonite???, and concrete block

Old 07-01-04, 10:54 AM
mc3me
Visiting Guest
Question painting exterior – brick, masonite???, and concrete block

I'm a new member ... great site ... lots of time and money saving tips!!!

Doing significant renovations on my own ... not afraid to figure things out as I go, ask questions, etc ... very committed to quality ...

Here's my current project ...

1960’s split level

3 types of material to paint (not including shutters, wood soffits , etc.):
- brick - on front of house only … the one story portion + the bottom of 2 story portion
- overlapping 12” slats made of composite material typical of the 60’s (masonite?)
- concrete block - bottom half of one side of house

Former owner painted brick … very inconsistent coverage … some is fully painted … some has somewhat spattered look. Pressure washed a test area with professional pressure cleaner, careful not to damage the brick … not worth money and effort to remove existing paint … so need to paint over ... biggest concern is retaining as much depth and texture in the brick as possible

1. Do I need to prime … since some bricks are fully painted and others seemed to be intentionally painted in a spattered manner? If so, any recommendations. What about priming the slats and cinder block?
2. Current paint on brick is an orangish-red “brick” color. I’m covering with either a dark olive or medium-dark gray… I think either one will give substantial coverage. Any concerns?
3. The concrete block is now a pale yellow … it will be painted same dark color as brick … I assume the brick and block will take the color basically the same … but since one is now dark and the other is now light, I’m not sure what to expect.
4. The slats (now white) will be painted a contrasting moss or light grey … one small area of concrete block at bottom to match. Again, I anticipate no problem … do you?
5. Any products/brands to stay away from? Any you specifically recommend? I’ve heard American Tradition has been rated highly by somebody (?) but also some conflicting info. I’m doing the job myself … probably with an airless sprayer … money is an issue … but time is money … and more expensive than paint … selling house as soon as renovations are done … I guess I’d rather pay for a decent paint than do more coats.
6. What sheen do you recommend? I’ve gotten conflicting info … the higher the gloss the more durable vs. it doesn’t have that much effect. Normally I’d never paint brick … I don’t like it when it starts to flatten out and lose its depth … but it’s OK if it doesn’t fill in the natural texture of the brick and the mortar spaces too much. … the existing paint doesn’t seem to do that. How much does sheen effect this? I’m thinking in the middle… maybe a satin?
7. I read something that implied you pressure clean BEFORE scraping. Any prep tips?

If there’s a book or resource you want to refer me to, that’s great. I just couldn’t find anything that directly addressed all these issues … especially how to retain as much texture and depth in the brick as possible.

Thanks so much for any guidance offered!!! (sorry so long! ... but wanted to give all info upfront)

m.e.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-04, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. Do I need to prime … since some bricks are fully painted and others seemed to be intentionally painted in a spattered manner? If so, any recommendations. What about priming the slats and cinder block?
I'd prime all of it. Better safe than sorry.
2. Current paint on brick is an orangish-red “brick” color. I’m covering with either a dark olive or medium-dark gray… I think either one will give substantial coverage. Any concerns?
Not if you tint the primer close to the finish color.
3. The concrete block is now a pale yellow … it will be painted same dark color as brick … I assume the brick and block will take the color basically the same … but since one is now dark and the other is now light, I’m not sure what to expect.
Assume a couple of coats to achieve even tone and sheen.
4. The slats (now white) will be painted a contrasting moss or light grey … one small area of concrete block at bottom to match. Again, I anticipate no problem … do you?
Nope.
5. Any products/brands to stay away from? Any you specifically recommend?
Dodge any products cheaper than $12-$15 a gallon. Can't go wrong with brand names such as Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Muralo, Pittsburgh, Porter, Pratt & Lambert, etc.
6. What sheen do you recommend?
Usually its flat or satin for the body, with semigloss on the trim, shutters, doors, etc. Any sheen will be slightly more durable/washable than flat.
7. I read something that implied you pressure clean BEFORE scraping. Any prep tips?
Yes, powerwash to remove all loose pieces, then hand scrape trouble areas. Spot prime any areas that go down to bare wood or brick. Make sure siding is dry before proceeding with the primer.
how to retain as much texture and depth in the brick as possible.
The satin or semigloss will make the brick stand out and look good.

Old 07-02-04, 12:39 PM
mc3me
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks prowallguy!!!

One more question ... for anyone ...

I found my color combination and got a gallon of each to test BEfORE I found this site ... It's American Tradition from Lowe's ... Exterior 100% Acrylic ... $20/gallon (this week $10 rebate per gallon - up to 5 gallons) ... so seems like a really good deal ... but no deal is good if it isn't good quality ...

Is this AT good paint? Any concerns?

m.e.

Old 07-02-04, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty sure its made by Valspar, which is a reputable manuf. but this particular brand for exterior, I don't know, I've never used it. PBTroy might know better.

Old 07-02-04, 06:17 PM
P
Yes its made by valspar. Ive used Valspar products on exterior and found them to be decent. This particular product I havent used but its Lowes best. We don't have Lowes in WI. So I havent heard anything about the quality. It may be good.. give it a shot and let us know. Although it takes time as well to determine quality

Old 07-02-04, 11:37 PM
mc3me
Visiting Guest
OK ... I'll check it out ... but it may be a while ... it started raining a couple of days after I took the gutters down (Murphy's Law!) and has been raining almost every day since ... I can't even get enough of a break to do a test area to check the color combo

Cheers!