Painting interior of garage walls

Old 07-05-04, 04:20 PM
L.Terry
Visiting Guest
Painting interior of garage walls

Can anyone please advise me on the steps to painting the inside of my garage walls so I do a good job and the paint adheres well? My garage is 22 years old, is finished in wallboard and was painted a very very long time ago. Alot of paint is flaking, some areas are large. I think it was only painted with flat paint.

Do I

*Clean walls of dirt, spider webs, etc.(should TSP be used?)

*Prep walls by sanding loose paint, filling holes, etc. (some areas are very large where the paint is flaking and when I sand them they continue to flake more and more)

*Prime walls? What kind of primer for garage?

*Then paint the walls? What kind of paint?

The marks etc. on the walls seem like they will be hard to cover up, is there certain primer and/or paint that works best for garages?

Thanks in advance for help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-04, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Everything you said sounds good. My 2 :
when I sand them they continue to flake more and more)
Keep sand/scraping until you can't get anymore off. If not, it will be prone to failure later on.
What kind of primer for garage?
Since there is already an adhesion problem, I would use a slow-drying, heavy-bodied oil primer. This will also help cover any marks on the walls.

You can finish it with any good quality latex paint.

Old 07-05-04, 10:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is no need to tsp flat paint on walls but... in the garage if the dirty spots are from greasy hand prints then the grease needs to be removed (tsp or orange cleaner). As stated sand it till it stops flacking or you hit the sheetrock paper then prime. I'd rather use latex primer as it's much more pleasant to deal with. lol.......jeff