Bathroom Painting Fiasco

Old 07-06-04, 11:26 AM
MissDeseray
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Bathroom Painting Fiasco

undefinedundefined I am in need of some advice here. My boyfriend and I have recently painted the bathroom with Wal-Mart paints. We did have an oil based paint in there and we put an oil based primer over the top of that which we were told to do by the painting expert at Lowe's. We painted one coat of paint which wasn't enough of course. But, the first time that anyone took a shower in there, especially for any length of time, the paint would start to drip off the wall with the water and you could touch the walls and it would feel as though you had just painted the walls. Now, we have since painted another coat of paint and did a bottom color with a wall-paper border which looks rather nice. The problem is that we are still having the same problem. It has been three days since we painted now and everytime that we have taken a shower the paint around that area drips and will peel if you touch it. What should we do???? Thanks for any advice!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to admit, when I see a topic with the word 'fiasco' in it, I cringe when I click on it.

What steps of prep did you do before priming? Sand, wash, etc.?
What was the type/brand of oil primer used? Did it say 'stain killer', 'sealer', 'primer', or something else?

Old 07-06-04, 05:32 PM
MissDeseray
Visiting Guest
We used the "Kilz" brand oil based primer and we washed the walls down with mineral spirits type of stuff before using that primer.

Old 07-06-04, 06:00 PM
What are the walls made of and why did you wash them down with paint thinner?
You say "...the first time that anyone took a shower in there, especially for any length of time, the paint would start to drip off the wall with the water...". What exactly does that mean. Do you not have tile in the shower?

Old 07-06-04, 06:05 PM
The walls should have been sanded first, to provide good 'tooth' for the primer to grip onto. And KILZ isn't a good primer for this situation, as its a 'stain killer', not a bonding primer. It dries way too fast to really penetrate and grip onto the wall. My only advice at this point would be to put a fan in the room, and let it thoroughly dry out. It might take several days, but it sounds as if its not dry yet, and definitely not cured.