paint/tape edge advice needed

Old 07-06-04, 05:01 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint/tape edge advice needed

I've started to paint my kitchen and I've been getting paint seeping under the tape and onto the moldings and ceiling. I've been using the 3M Blue tape to mask the moldings (and moldingless entryways), ceiling, and anything else adjacent to paint. The problem with the ceiling is that it is a textured (popcorn?) ceiling and the tape doesn't seat well on that surface. I'm looking for advice on getting those professional loooking paint edges.

Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 05:50 PM
Forget about putting tape on the popcorn, as you've found out it doesn't work. If you can't cut-in a straight enough line then get a wide putty knife or a piece of baseboard 18" long or so or anything thin and straight and use it as a shield to paint against. Hold it tight in the ceiling-wall joint with one hand while you paint a strip a few inches wide on the wall. Make it wide enough so you can roll into that paint later without hitting the ceiling. Clean the shield as the paint builds up on it.
As for the walls, if they are smooth you shouldn't be having any trouble with paint seeping under unless you aren't making sure it's tightly adhered to the surface. After you apply it, run your finger along the edge of the tape that the paint will touch, making sure it is well sealed. When you remove the tape, pull it back on itself away from the painted edge. If the blue tape isn't working for you, just use regular masking tape instead. Do pull it of as soon as possible though.

Old 07-06-04, 06:00 PM
I'm looking for advice on getting those professional loooking paint edges.
A good brush will do wonders for this, as will a steady hand. Tape will give a false sense of security, and acts as a vacuum if not tightly sealed. Try just a brush, and work your way closer and closer to the edge, thus eliminating most of the paint on the bristles by the time you hit the edge. This way it won't glop on and run right at the edge.

Old 07-06-04, 09:16 PM
X
Originally Posted by prowallguy
A good brush will do wonders for this, as will a steady hand. Tape will give a false sense of security, and acts as a vacuum if not tightly sealed. Try just a brush, and work your way closer and closer to the edge, thus eliminating most of the paint on the bristles by the time you hit the edge. This way it won't glop on and run right at the edge.
Thanks for the info, I will have to give that a try. I need to work on my steady hand!!

Thanks,
Brian