those awful walls..

Old 07-07-04, 07:20 PM
gonaneedsumhelp
Visiting Guest
Red face those awful walls..

hello everybody~
i have a bathroom that seriously needs painting, but unfortunately the wallpaper previously on the walls was, well, ripped off in a hurry and left dents, peices of wallpaper backing (???) and shallow holes in the sheetrock. i'm guessing this will need some serious sanding and lots of mud (spackle, whatever you want to call it), but any further suggestions or corrrections would be extremely helpful. thank you so much to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-04, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would sand it down with 80 grit sandpaper. Clean off the dust, and prime it with oil primer. Then smooth it all out with joint compound. After smooth, you can prime it with a latex primer, and paint it.

Old 07-09-04, 03:10 PM
Newbie333
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Wallpaper/Gray layer trauma...

I feel the same way about those "awful" walls. I have started a painting project I cannot finish. Here is the scenario; most of the wallpaper is removed, problem being so was the grey substance below it. Now I am stuck with patches of this gray (primer/paper/substance???)

Question: Can I use a pad sander on the rest of the wall to smooth it out? and if I do this to the whole wall, would I have to use joint compound on the entire wall? or can I just prime after sanding? (latex or oil prime only?)

your response would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-09-04, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sand the whole wall, but only patch the areas that need it. sometimes its so many little spots all over that it is easier to do the whole wall than 400 small areas. Use oil primer to lock in any residual adhesive.