Old Paint Peeling

Old 07-07-04, 07:44 PM
RDUN
Visiting Guest
Old Paint Peeling

I just began what I thought was going to be a simple process of painting one of our bedrooms. The bedroom had three walls which were a dark beige and one which was a dark red. In the corners where the beige met the red the previous owners had put a small piece of corner molding, I guess to hide the color transition.

I applied a hider primer to the red wall since we are going to make the room a lighter color. After doing so I decided it would look better if I removed the corner molding since the entire room is now going to be one color. When I removed it, the paint on the red wall which I had primed peeled off down to the texturing about 1 to 2 inches wide. The paint on the beige walls is fine.

What do I do now? If I just try to clean up the peeled edge I don't know if I can trust the integrity of the rest of the paint and I'm sure the new paint won't hide the "peel line" So, is my only choice to remove all of the paint from the wall? If so, I guess I'll have to re-texture at that point also?

What I can't figure out is why the paint is peeling from one wall but not the others. After the pieces of paint peeled off, the underlying wall was very dusty (Drywall dust) Could it be that that wall just didn't get prepped properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-04, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could it be that that wall just didn't get prepped properly
Most likely.

Try to sand the peeled edges smooth as possible without making it peel anymore. Prime those areas with 2 coats of GARDZ made by Zinsser. After dry, smooth them out with spackle or joint compound. Reprime repaired areas with a coat of GARDZ. Then touch up with the paint.

Old 07-08-04, 09:05 AM
RDUN
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. That is what I was going to try tonight. I didn't mention in the previous post that the wall has an orange-peel texture. Will sanding the paint edge destroy the texture?

You mentioned using Gardz Primer. I am not familiar with this product. I have the Sherwin-Williams Prep-Rite 200 primer which I was using to cover up the red paint. Will this work on the sanded/repaired areas?

Old 07-08-04, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will sanding the paint edge destroy the texture?
don't sand it too hard. Just try to get it flat, not feather it out.
You mentioned using Gardz Primer. I am not familiar with this product. I have the Sherwin-Williams Prep-Rite 200 primer which I was using to cover up the red paint. Will this work on the sanded/repaired areas?
No, it won't work like the GARDZ will. Prep-rite is just an acrylic primer. GARDZ is a product that was originally made to seal torn drywall. It dries hard like a shellac, and is excellent at sealing paint that is peeling. You can try the Prep-rite, but it won't perform near as well as the GARDZ will.