New Paint is Peeling and What is this???

Old 07-09-04, 10:49 AM
Paislee
Visiting Guest
New Paint is Peeling and What is this???

I know there are numerous threads there about problems paint peeling off of the walls and I'm finding lots of good advice as to how to deal with my situation. I cannot however find any discussion pertaining to this particular issue. So yay - another thread about peeling paint. :/

I have paint peeling from my newly repainted kitchen wall in only one area. It is on a small section of wall in the door frame between the kitchen and bathroom and it is peeling consistently in a line perpendiclar with the floor. In other words it is "spreading" up and down but not across.

My husband has peeled some of the paint away that is coming up and it looks like there is some sort of brown paper underneath the paint that is peeling up. What is this? Is this part of the dry wall?

What is the best way to repair this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That appears to be torn drywall facing. It probably was somehow delaminated, and the new paint made it bubble up. Peel or cut out all the loose facing and sand with 80 grit sandpaper. Apply a coat or 2 of Zinsser's GARDZ, and let it dry. Smooth it out with joint compound. Reprime with GARDZ, then paint 2 coats of the finish coat.

Old 07-10-04, 08:05 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
this brown paper maybe wallpaper backing which didnt get cleaned off good enough when the wallpaper was removed.and when this stuff gets wet or is exposed to moisture for a long time it will peel away from the wall,and putting paint on it can give it the moisture it needed to lose its bond.pretty much do as prowall said just be sure to prime it first with an oil based primer it will seal in anything on the wall be it drywall paper or wallpaper backing which will keep moisture from paint or other means from absorbing into them.put 2 coats of primer on.