who's painted black walls before?

Old 07-10-04, 09:26 PM
felix wankel
Visiting Guest
who's painted black walls before?

I've been painting for about seven years now (mainly 3000+ sq.ft. homes), and recently we had one with a 2 story dining room and foyer. The problem is that the homeowners picked flat black for the ceiling and eggshell black for three of the walls. Surprisingly, no one at work has used black before.

Between the 7 people on my crew, we cannot get the paint to lay down evenly. Everything was primed black and has three finish coats on it now. We've tried different roller naps, and tried to roll in one direction only. I rolled the ceiling all the way across in one stroke without stopping (that was hard). I always thought red was the biggest pain to work with, now I realize I was wrong.

No matter what we do, the roller marks are very visible. Especially on the celing, even though I didn't backroll into it at all.

Is there any special technique to this that we are missing? The room looks awful as it sits and I need to figure something out.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-04, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have painted flat black a few times, and it looked fine. But black with any sheen, be it satin or semi, would be tough, as it will show everything. I would try using a 1/2" 100% lambswool nap and backroll the sh*t out of it.

What brand of paint is it?

Oh, and I forgot add that black paint needs to be mixed often, about every 1/2 hour or so. Don't know if the tint is heavier than most and keeps settling, but that was the case with me. I was using Benjamin Moore's Regal Wall Satin flat latex.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-11-04, 09:10 PM
felix wankel
Visiting Guest
It is Pittsburgh paint, I forget exactly which of their paints it is. I think I am going there tomorrow, I will try what you suggested, I didn't like the paint rep's idea of using a 1/4" nap. One of the walls is 2 1/2 stories tall!