Painting interior stucco ceilings

Old 07-12-04, 01:29 PM
watcher2
Visiting Guest
Question Painting interior stucco ceilings

Hi! All
I hope someone here can help me here, I am painting interior stucco ceilings, and have run into a real problem, trying to paint these by hand required, about 5gallons of latex, more than twice what would normally be used, it just sucked the paint right into the stucco, as though it was never painted. Finally after the sixth gallon it was done. Can anyone suggest a better way or even why it would take so much paint for such a small project. Would spraying be any better and what sprayer can I use for acrylic latex, or is this even the right paint for the job?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-04, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on what the stucco is made of, I'm not really surprised it took that much. It can be sprayed, might be easier if its real textured. Assume double the amount of average coverage, either for spraying or rolling.

Old 07-12-04, 09:34 PM
watcher2
Visiting Guest
Sprayer Type?

What kind of sprayer could i use and do i need to thin out the paint 1st?

Old 07-12-04, 11:04 PM
Ridik22
Visiting Guest
Use an airless sprayer, which you can rent at some hardware stores, just call around. You need to load the ceiling with paint and use a large fluffy roller nap on a extension pole and roll it out overlapping evenly so as not to streak,and then repeat it if necessary, but it's been my experience one time is efficient.

Old 07-13-04, 08:00 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
use a large nap roller and thin the paint with some water, at least the first coat,this will help the paint flow into to the crevices better and not just lay on the peaks,also the paint will go farther.then apply second coat with a little thicker paint to bring it all together not worrying to get into ever little nuke and cranny.