Exterior painting - galvanized surfaces

Old 07-16-04, 10:37 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior painting - galvanized surfaces

I power washed my garage door and removed a lot paint that flaked off the galvanized door. I'd like to repaint with latex paint but first need to prime the bare areas, since I understand galvanized metal is difficult to get paint to adhere. The last time I was in this situation (1973) I used a product called 'Gutter Grip' that cost $12 a pint!

I searched a number of hardware stores, but they don't have any special primer for galvanized surfaces. What do I do?

On a related note, some of the regular primer products say they can be used on galvanized surfaces but require conditioning with muriatic acid. I use muriatic acid in the lab to strip galvanize from ferrous surfaces. I refuse to do this for the garage door! I will not sacrifice the corrosion protection that galvanize gives steel.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 02:50 PM
Check out the link below.

Galvanized metal primers

Old 07-19-04, 12:11 PM
J
Galvanized metal is a problem when new. I use vinegar to wipe down the surface (leave it on till dry then tsp and finally rinse with water). The acid is enough to clean the oils that protect it and etch the surface lightly. Galvanized that has been out in the elements for a couple of years can be cleaned as usual and primed (oil base) then painted with oil or water base. I'm not that impressed with the "protection" galvanized gives as currently most galvanizing is so thin if left unpainted it will rust in a few years. Years back galvanized roofing would last but not now.