first timer

Old 07-20-04, 05:08 AM
deniseandnick
Visiting Guest
Question first timer

we're new home owners and wanted to do the painting ourselves.

Childs room has knotty pine, what can be done to properly paint this surface?

Master BR is just paint, does this need to be primed or can I just paint over it?

LR has wallpaper, don't know if its vinyl or paper, house is 50 years and in good shape, but not much has redecorated over the years.

I understand that I need to strip the wallpaper, backing and wash any remaining glue off. I've read about using DIF, fabric softener and white vinegar to help in this process, but I need to make sure the wall is clean afterwards. How wet can I get a wall? Can I get it to wet?

does this need to be primed before painted? What does the term "Cut in" mean? I read it a couple of times in other post.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-04, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The knotty pine should be primed with a stain killer primer or the knots may continue to "bleed" through and you're going to need 2 coats anyway so use a tinted primer as the 1st coat. The previously painted surface does not need to be primed. Use a steamer for wallpaper to remove it. The walls can get wet, after steaming use the dif to remove the remaining glue. Run your hand over the wall and make sure the glue is gone because you wont get the chance to remove it later and you will see it ater painting. If the surface beneath the wallpaper is painted and in good shape you don't have to prime but if in doubt prime it. To "cut in" a wall means to paint the edges usually with a brush. If you roll- the corners wont be covered well and need to be "cut in" (done 1st and rolled 2nd).

Old 07-20-04, 07:23 PM
BillyB
Visiting Guest
Since last September, my wife and I have stripped wallpaper and painted in all the rooms of our recently purchased 43 year old house. Since you said not much remodeling has occurred in recent years, I recommend priming every surface you are going to paint. The finishing coats will adhere better and the colors will be truer. The priming coat doesn't have to be perfect. This will allow you to improve your techniques and discover the nuances of each room before you work on your finishing coat. Also, if you will be using dark or dramatic colors, consider getting tinted primer. It made a big difference in the room we painted red. In the end, I was glad we took the time and spent the marginally extra money on primer.

Also, make sure that you wash the walls with TSP (trisodium phosphate) then wipe them well with a clean, wet cloth or sponge. This will remove any surface dirt or grease which may be present. It makes a big difference in the adhering of the paint.

We had success in stripping the wall paper by pulling off the paper front, then wetting down the backing and glue with plain water. (Cheap and no potential damage to woodwork, floors or metal trim.) We were lucky that the wallpaper was old enough that it pulled off without liquid or steam.

Old 07-21-04, 04:29 AM
deniseandnick
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks.

Do I need more than one coat of primer??

Old 07-21-04, 12:32 PM
BillyB
Visiting Guest
One coat of primer will do. And it doesn't have to be "perfect" coverage.

Also, it's better to put on two or even three thin finish coats, as opposed to trying to get full coverage in one coat. Trying to get it done in one coat with the finish color can result in an uneven sheen (ie., flat, satin, semi-gloss or gloss), and tends to show more brush strokes and roller marks.