Is painting a brick house tacky? (pic site included)

Old 07-23-04, 08:05 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is painting a brick house tacky? (pic site included)

I am just about to close on my first home! It is a brick house built in 1965 and boy is it plain. It will require some extensive remodling before we can move in, but it is in an upscale neighborhood and has not been lived in for a couple of years due to the owners reluctance to come down on the price.

I'm thinking of adding some paint to the exterior to create more of a focal point with the entrance. At this point, I'm really only considering painting the brick on the adjacent brick walls on the small porch surrounding the door, maybe a cream color. Will this look good or just tacky? I really don't want it to stand out like a sore thumb in a very nice neighborhood.

From the picture, you can also see the shutters and eaves could use a change as well. That white masonry on the carport has got to go and landscaping will be a huge project as well!

www.livingstonrealtyco.com/PB120055.JPG

Thanks........Troup

Old 07-23-04, 09:56 AM
That's a nice house, Troup, and I would never paint over all that wonderful brick. In my opinion, the only reason to paint brick is because it is badly deteriorated or has patches or repairs that do not match. Your house does not appear to have those problems. The only thing I see is the chimney needs pressure washing.
Painting just around the entry would look odd to me. To emphasize the entrance I might add a column at each front corner of the porch if the roof overhangs enough for it. Add a wrought iron or other railing around the edge and down the steps. If columns aren't possible, I would still go with a railing. When you landscape add a sidewalk out to the road or your driveway.
The only other thing I would do is repaint all the trim, including the carport blockwork, a darker color, maybe a green or brown that looks good against the brick and roof.
Your house could be in my neighborhood with all those pines in the pic. You've got a good looking place. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-23-04, 10:12 AM
i agree - absolutely do not paint that brick! for one reason, you'd be turning a maintenance-free exterior material into one that will need upkeep, even if it is only the entry area. secondly, though, it just won't look right. you've got a lot of work ahead of you - inside & out. that's a big project, which means you really ought to consider hiring a landscape designer. they'd be able to help you with colors for your shutters & trim, and they could design something different for your carport - that "blockwork" is definitely dated. plus you've got landscaping to do and sidewalk work.........you want to get this right. ask around & see if hiring a designer might be more affordable than you think. it may save you money in the long run, and keep you from making costly mistakes.

definitely a house with great potential!!! congrats & good luck!

Old 07-23-04, 10:36 AM
T
Thanks Roy and Annette,
my first option is not to paint, but I need to do something to give it some life. You can see what I was talking about earlier with the windows that look too small. I haven't found anything yet that would add the appearance of length or an "architectural apron" as you called it.

I'm not sure what to do about the white masonry on the carport. My wife wants to simply tear it out and that may be the best option. It would be very difficult to paint and I'm not sure it would look right.

Improving the steps and porch as well as adding a walkway would probably get things going in the right direction.

Troup

Old 07-23-04, 10:46 AM
yes, the windows are small, but i think you're focusing on that because there's nothing GOOD to look at instead! once you get it landscaped and redo the blockwork thing, i don't think it'll be anything worth messing with. changing the color of the shutters from blindingly white to something less contrasting would help (such as a darker version of the brick or something closer to the mortar color, etc). also, planting shrubs that cover that large expanse of brick below the windows will help to put them more in proportion.

but i'd definitely tear out that blockwork stuff. no matter what color you paint it, it'll always be there screaming "HEY! REMEMBER THE 70'S?!?!" a more contemporary designed lattice or panels of some sort would be better. at least paint them the brick color & train some ivy or something to grow all over it & hide the design.

Old 07-23-04, 11:28 AM
tn_walker
Visiting Guest
Don't paint the brick. Once you paint it, it will always have to be painted. I don't think it is tacky at all. I've seen houses painted white over brick, it just adds to the maintenance.

A lot of the houses in our area have that color of brick and it really looks nice with white trim and light grey shutters.

You have a great house with lots of potential.
Good luck.

Old 07-23-04, 01:15 PM
J
I definitely think new shrubs are in order in the front. Higher and more colorfull. Maybe in between the windows and on each end. Some flower pots under the windows too might help. Don.t go too crazy. I have also seen a few places that just whitewash a brick here and there and it looks pretty good. You could see what it would look like with some pieces of paper cut to size. It doesn't create much of a maintenance prob. I do the wall with my fireplace in about 5 minutes. I put it on with a paper towel. Looks better than all brick.

Old 07-24-04, 09:29 AM
jbluth
Visiting Guest
jbluth re painting brick - something you can do

I couldn't agree more with those that say "DON'T PAINT BRICK!" McDonalds has done that to all of their hamburger joints (white) and they just turned particularly seedy looking in no time. As for a style, I would suggest you look at some Prairie style lattice for your car port and maybe that'd give you some ideas for garden lattice/fencing and window apron designs (even though you're located in the Jack Pines). You have the right roof line and it's an easy design element for a DIY'er. Joe

Old 07-25-04, 01:55 PM
T
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I'm leaning towards tearing out the blockwork on the carport and placing a large trellis in front of it there. Ivy would look great there when it comes in full.

I'm also planning to put flower boxes under those smaller windows and have the greenery hang down to create more of a verticle look.

Many of the brick houses in our area have black shutters and I may go that direction as well (either that or dark burgandy /green). Cream trim will also soften the look.

Troup

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: