HHHHHHHeeeeeelp

Old 08-16-04, 02:53 PM
loulou
Visiting Guest
HHHHHHHeeeeeelp

My exterior walls are badly in need of painting.The walls are extremely rough and earlier on today it took me 1 hour to paint a square of about 1metre by 1 metre.I was using a proper masonary paint brush but because the walls are so rough it wasn`t like painting an interior wall.I had to almost dab the paint brush to get the coverage....hhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeelp.What an earth can I do.What about spraying? But what spray gun and from where? etc It will take me 2 years at this rate!!
Any ideas gladly appreciated.
Lou

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you need is a roller with a 5-foot or so handle and a couple of long-napped roller covers, 1 1/4 inches or longer. Work out of a half-full or less 5-gallon bucket with a screen. Dip the cover into the paint, turning it to get it covered, roll the excess off on the screen, then roll the paint onto the wall. Make sure there's plenty of paint on the roller and press it into the wall so you get the paint into every nook and cranny. You may have to roll sideways occassionally to ensure proper coverage. Don't dry-roll, dip often. Use your brush to cut-in the top and bottom of the wall and around windows, etc.
The rougher the surface, the more paint it will take and the quicker the roller cover nap will wear out. Once in a while, in the bucket before you dip the roller, spin it to see how it's wearing. If the nap is worn down by half, replace it; covers are fairly cheap. Long naps throw more paint than short naps, so cover yourself and anything you don't want covered in paint speckles. Faster rolling flings more paint farther than slower rolling.
If you sprayed with an airless, you would have to back-roll to ensure proper coverage and really make sure everything was covered, including the neighbor's things if it is at all windy, so it's easier to just roll.

Old 08-17-04, 05:56 AM
loulou
Visiting Guest
House painting

Thanks ever so much Roy that advice will be put to the test today!!!
Lou
Ps whats an airless??!!!!

Old 08-17-04, 06:46 PM
Here's a link to an explanation:

http://paint-and-supplies.aubuchonha...t_sprayers.asp

Old 08-18-04, 12:28 PM
loulou
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Airless sprayer

Thanx Roy
Very useful site that gave me lots of ideas.In the uk we do not seem to readily be able to purchase such equipment under 300 pounds I found this...what do you think..will it do.....

Wagners W180P is ideal for applying a range of paints, laquers, wood preservatives etc. for the clean and efficient coating of a multitude of surfaces including doors, fences, internal walls & ceilings, balconies & much more! The W180P uses a small piston pump to pressurise, then atomize paint - thus doing away with the need for an external air supply and ensuring minimal overspray.
110 Watt, 230v motor
800ml paint pot capacity
Max. paint flow rate 270 grams / min.
0.6mm nozzle supplied as standard
Output control system for regulating material flow rate
Includes needle jet nozzle, flexible nozzle, spare nozzle & spare valve
Manufacturers 2 year warranty

?????????????????? thanx lou

Old 08-18-04, 02:09 PM
Sounds like you want to spray instead of roll.
Wagner makes quality products and if you think the W180P will do the job then go for it. Is this the kind that has a pot with the paint in it attached to the gun? I see 800ml capacity. That's less than a quart, which won't last very long between refills if it sprays a good amount out the tip. If that amount lasts awhile then it's not putting out much paint. If you walls are really rough, you need a lot of paint to really cover them and this might not be the right tool. Ask at the store. As I mentioned earlier, even if an airless puts plenty of paint on the wall, it might still need to be back-rolled to really get the surface covered. By that I mean one person spraying a heavy coat on the wall and a second person coming behind rolling it in.
I've used an electric airless a few times for interior walls and it worked fine. The one I used sucked paint out of a 5-gallon bucket and pumped the paint thru a hose to the gun. This type puts out much more paint than the cup-gun type. Mostly, I used a commercial type airless that was powered by a gasoline engine and with a large tip can spray large amounts of paint very quickly.
If your walls are really rough masonry, I still think rolling is the way to go. Try asking at your paint or hardware store. Also, you might try renting a sprayer similar to the W180P and trying it out to see if it will do the job. Good Luck.

Old 08-18-04, 04:30 PM
loulou
Visiting Guest
Talking Airless spraying versus rollers!!!

Thank Roy
Brill brill advice so I`m off to the DIY and machine mart in the morning and I`ll let you know what i discover.Thanks for telling me all about rolling......as you guessed....i was pretty clueless!!!!!!!!
Thanks again
-l-u-l-u-

Old 08-18-04, 10:28 PM
J
The small hand helds are not worth using. Rent a true airless 1/2 HP or larger. Rolling will be required even if sprayed. So you might try rolling first.

Old 08-19-04, 08:54 AM
loulou
Visiting Guest
Wink Too roll or not to roll!!!!!!!

I think I`ll have to try rolling , as the two of you have said that its better.Torrential rain here today so no painting!!! I`ll let you know how it goes once I`ve tried.
Thanks