Ext Trim

Old 08-17-04, 08:45 PM
Lightman
Visiting Guest
Ext Trim

Do I need to remove old caulk before putting on the fresh caulk? Whats a good paintable exterior caulk? Is there an easy way to remove caulk?

Old 08-18-04, 02:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, I would remove any old caulk before recaulking. Try using a putty knife or utility knife and slide it between the caulk and other material and cut or break the seal along the length of caulk. Do both sides of the bead of caulk. A sharp knife or razor blade is good for cutting the caulk, but can damage the other material, especially wood, and you. Sometimes you can get one end loose and just peel the caulk off.
There are numerous brands and qualities of caulk. Just read the labels. Acrylic latex works well, is paintable and relatively inexpensive.

Old 08-18-04, 05:41 PM
Lightman
Visiting Guest
I watched a guy heat the old caulk slightly with a small torch and scrap it off with ease, but I am afraid to try that method on wood. Any thoughts?

Old 08-18-04, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Use a heatgun instead of the torch. Watch the wood, don't let it start smoking. I usually cut them out with a razor knife myself.

Old 08-19-04, 07:02 PM
CHUY90650
Visiting Guest
painting over caulk

Here are some tips:
Make sure the caulk is paintable. It will state it on the caulking tube. Remove old caulking before more caulking is applied. I would stay away from using a torch, you will deteriorate the wood. You don't want to paint over burt wood because when the temperature changes the paint will start to crack and flake off. Hence, poor adhesion between the surface because it is not sound and in painting shape. The good old scrapper will work. Next, prime with the primer that the manufacturer of the paint recommends.

Hope this helps,
Chuy90650

Old 08-20-04, 05:02 AM
Lightman
Visiting Guest
Question

Prime?
I'm painting fresh paint on old paint of the same color on ceder trim and siding. I should brush primer over the new caulk before I paint?

Old 08-20-04, 05:41 AM
No, I don't think you need to prime the caulk if its paintable latex or acrylic.

Old 08-20-04, 07:20 PM
P
Caukk brand

Lightman. I use SW 950 its a good all around latex silicone caulk. I also tried a product called Stormblaster. Its super. It can even go on wet surfaces. Grab a tube if you get a chance. Just a suggestion ..I dont want to make it sound like I am pushing a product.(some people are real touchy about that in this forum if you know what I mean

Old 09-01-04, 09:03 PM
Lightman
Visiting Guest
I'm painting the house Navajo White (Maxum stain) and BM makes a Navajo White caulk. . . anyone ever use BM caulk? like/dislike?

I hope the colors match up so I can paint and then caulk and not have to paint over caulk to match.

Old 09-01-04, 09:34 PM
J
Why? Fix the original caulking (strip it out with a razor knife and putty knife), recaulk with silicone-latex (like dap or ?) or if you want longer life, use an elastomeric caulk (most paint stores sell 50 yr caulking, ps. it doesnt last that long). Then paint over it. No need for primer, and paint will go over any caulking except pure silicone. One companies idea of what Navajo white looks like and anothers is rarely the same. You want a continous film of paint, the caulking allows the paint to bridge the gap, crack, seam, etc. that otherwise it couldn't.

Old 09-02-04, 05:53 AM
Lightman
Visiting Guest
how long should I wait for the caulk to dry before I paint it?

Old 09-02-04, 06:05 AM
At least overnight, depending on high deep/wide the bead of caulk is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: