painting plaster ceiling help!!

Old 08-21-04, 08:38 AM
hfc
Visiting Guest
painting plaster ceiling help!!

i have painted a plaster ceiling with the new "pink" ceiling paint that dries white. the ceiling looks terrrible. there is a large window in the room. the ceiling is a bit rippled too, i've found. looks like i've missed spots. lots of them! used a paint stick and a power roller (wagner) combined with probably poor technique ceiling is streaked. paint did not go on evenly at all.
have gone over the areas several times-using a regular 3/8 nap foam roller and extension pole. it is getting a little better but still bad. paint is very thick and i'm on my 3rd gallon for a 400 square foot ceiling. is the light hitting the ripples compounding the problem? should i even try going over whole thing again or live with it?

Old 08-21-04, 09:37 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What's the name of the new "pink" paint and did you let it completely dry between coats

Old 08-21-04, 11:54 AM
hfc
Visiting Guest
thanks for replying!
glidden ceiling paint. i thought it was dry-i would wait a day or more between coats. my a/c went out though after the first 2 coats so house was pretty warm and humid. a/c fine now. should i wait a week and try again?

Old 08-21-04, 12:17 PM
J
well you waited long enough between coats.I wouldn't go over it until I got those ripples sorted out. Is it the paint that caused the ripples or were they always there.Was the ceiling ever painted before. How hot was it when you were painting,cause it is much hotter at the ceiling. If the paint caused it I think I would try to use a pole sander to get rid of the ripples[get a plastic one at the depot and put it on a stick]. I also think I would stick with some normal white ceiling paint[I hear Benny Moore or Muralo are good] and pay attention to what I am doing. Add floetrol to the paint and mix it good pouring from one container to the other and stirring with a stick The paint should stay wet enough to go slow and get good coverage. It shouldn't need more than one coat.Trying to touch up a spot here and there will always make it look bad. You need to paint the whole ceiling. If you use the paint stick keep it wet and put it on at the rate it is supposed to be put on.If the ripples were there to begin with---Why did you start to paint.

Last edited by joneq; 08-21-04 at 01:36 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-21-04, 01:51 PM
hfc
Visiting Guest
i'll try the floetrol and do it all over. it has been painted before-don't know when, not by me. other ceilings look similar, just not nearly as bad. big window makes all flaws show, i think. didn't know it was rippled-doesn't look it but feels like it. 50 year old house. thanks for your help!

Old 08-21-04, 03:41 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I think the problem is with the roller cover. 3/8" foam is too small and won't hold much paint. I use a 3/4" on everything, just make sure all your floors and furniture are covered. And I never use floetrol unless its going through a sprayer.

My 2¢

Old 08-21-04, 04:57 PM
J
Using floetrol while rolling is not as necessary as when you are spraying, however it definitely does increase drying time and definitely produces a much better finish on the wall or ceiling or cabinet or whatever. There is really no reason not to use it especially with a 3/4 nap roller cover which is not reccomended to be used especially by a non pro such as yourself. Yes it will go on faster and yes you won't have to dip as much but this homeowner is using a paint stick or a power roller which carries it own paint supply. I see no reason to use a 3/4 nap roller with a paint stick it serves no purpose. Floetrol---I wouldn't leave home without it. Spray, roll, brush it don't matter. I love it and so do my customers

Old 08-21-04, 09:23 PM
not reccomended to be used especially by a non pro such as yourself.
Who, me?

Old 08-22-04, 05:44 AM
J
Mean that like this. By someone who is not the pro you are. Btw I had a dream about that exact sentence and your post. Wasn't as bad as the dream. HFC If you decide to use the floetrol PLEEEEEZE shake it up good[it is not as prominent on the container as it could be-at all] and if possible strain it[it may have stringy type stuff in it especially around the top of the container. A regular kitchen type strainer is ok if that is all you have just make sure it is very clean. Also if you have a lot of stuff to cut in by brush either get someone to do it while you are rolling[best option] or you do it all ahead of time. If you cut in ahead of time try not to get too much paint on the area you will be rolling just up to where the roller can get to. get the paint on right the first time and don't go back over paint you already put on. Sorry about that prowallguy

Last edited by joneq; 08-22-04 at 05:54 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-22-04, 08:30 AM
Right on, no problem.

Old 08-22-04, 01:27 PM
hfc
Visiting Guest
thanks-my bruised ego is healing this morning, guys at home depot suggested to go over ceiling with zinnser cover stain primer bond coat (oil based ) as previous owners smoked, maybe nicotine could be preventing even absorbtion of paint. . then do a coat of the glidden ceiling paint. (latex)
i'll use the roller (3/4 nap) on a pole with screen ,as one of you suggested, rather than the power roller.

Old 08-22-04, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a solid plan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: