Mold

Old 09-23-04, 03:35 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold

I may be helping someone out on a bathroom paint job and I haven't seeen it yet but I'm told there is a lot of mold. What is the procedure to prep the surface in this case?

Also, is the BM paint for kitchens and bathrooms recommended over the Regal product with the anti-mold additive?

Thanks

Old 09-23-04, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Scrub the mold down with a bleach/water mix. Mix as strong as you dare to. Then prime those areas (or the whole room if its that widespread) with an oil primer. The original KILZ would work good here. Then paint it with the BM kitchen and bath paint, that already has the inhibitor in it.

Old 09-28-04, 07:47 AM
kellytree
Visiting Guest
In my mold experience ( or mildew ) I have found it best to first wipe down the areas with a dry rag --- and wear a mask- this stuff is deadly (this is coming from someone who never wears gloves or uses any type of protection that you are suppose to use!)

after I wash it with bleach

I have used a priming product against mold and mildew -- it works OK- as in the mold comes out again 2 years later as opposed to 1.

Old 09-28-04, 10:51 AM
J
The advice is right on. I just wanted to add, it's from excessive moisture/lack of ventilation. At my house when my daughters were taking 20 min showers I had alot of mildew but when I resumed 10 min showers it was minimal. Definately kill it first as it will eat back through the fresh paint with a vengence. You can also buy mildewcides in packs to add to the paint. If it is really bad I would add (M1-the best).

Old 09-28-04, 02:38 PM
A
Thanks guys,

Do I need to reduce the amount of bleach residue somehow or can I go right from bleach/water to primer (letting it thoroughly dry of course)?

Old 09-28-04, 07:34 PM
Let it dry, and the oil primer will adhere fine.

A little tidbit straight from my contracts:

MOLD/FUNGUS IS A NATURALLY OCCURING ORGANISM THAT I, AS A CONTRACTOR, HAVE NO CONTROL OVER; THE CONTRACTOR WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR RECURRENCE/GROWTH OF ANY FORM OR TYPE OF MOLD/FUNGI.

If I comes across > 10 sq. ft. on a jobsite, I am obligated, legally, to stop the work and advise the customer to contact their health dept. or an industrial hygienist. Ain't that something???

Old 09-29-04, 06:23 AM
B
PWG - if there is that much mold that you see, what are the chances there is a lot of mold you don't see? And mold is a health issue, especially for people with respiratory problems. Just something else from our airtight and energy efficient houses.

Old 09-29-04, 08:56 AM
If I don't see it, then its not my problem. If its not in the scope of work to cut into the wall, and view the backside of the drywall, where mold usually is, then I'm covered. I really haven't seen anywhere near 10 sq.ft. of mold, ever, on a jobsite in StL. The laws pertain mostly to high humdity areas, such as FL, or in general the SE. But I always like to keep my rear covered.

I personally believe 90% of mold litigation cases are crap. Mold has been around since the dawn of time. I am sure some people are highly allergic to it, and can die from a reaction to it, much the same as people allergic to bee stings, etc. But for the most part, its just another topic for some people to jump on the lawsuit bandwagon.

My 2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: