Painting Print Vinyl Walls

Old 09-24-04, 02:15 PM
bornieo
Visiting Guest
Print Vinal Walls

In a MH I'm buying, in the back bedroom there are what I belive to be vinal walls with a flower pattern on them. I dont' know if they are papered or if they are made that way. Is it possible to cover it with paint and primer and if so, what can be recomended?

With thanks!

Old 09-27-04, 11:48 AM
Chipfo
Visiting Guest
Vinyl or wall paper can be painted over if it is in good condition and not peeling or blistering. When I paint over wall coverings I always use an oil based primer first (like Kilz)for a couple reasons, if it is paper it will seal it so the water based wall paint doesn't loosen the glue and start peeling, if it vinyl the primer will give it the proper surface for the paint ti stick. Remember that the paint will not hide the seams very well. On well hung paper I have skimed the seams with drywall compound before painting to help hide them. If it is a textured vinyl this wouldn't be good because then you would have flat lines running up your walls at every seam. Be shure the covering is clean before priming.

Be sure to get the proper resperator or an open window with a fan in it blowing out because the fumes get so strong it will make you high and or sick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: