Solid color stain ????

Old 10-05-04, 11:59 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Solid color stain ????

Here goes.

I have a cedar lap sided house that is 30 years old. I have replaced about 600 lineal feet of siding due to cracks and knots etc. (that was expensive)

I also used a cedartone caulk to re-caulk the entire house (about 40 tubes).

I am using TWP 501 Cedartone semi-transparent stain.

Yesterday, I started staining and the caulk is not absorbing the color. Actually it is quite shiny and rather obnoxious looking.

I did not anticipate having problems with the new cedar boards, but the new boards are not the same tint as the old boards. I realize that with several coats, they will get closer. The existing cedar boards are pretty dark, even after power washing and bleaching.

The question is this. I was thinking about a solid color stain to match the new boards and the color of the new caulk. Will the solid color stain be absorbed by the stain better than semitransparent?

I have heard that the solid color stain will last longer too...what's the difference than regular paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-04, 06:53 PM
P
The solid color stain will cover the caulk with no problems. Solid color stain is very similar to paint . The differences are the cedar will show more texture as opposed to paint. Stain is absorbed better into the wood also. It has mold and mildew resistant properties and has water repellant agents. Its the most common and best choice for Cedar. TWP makes excellent solid stains , as I can attest to and around my area is very popular with contractors and homeowners. Cabot ProVT is also excellent. Ive used both. The latex product will not fade in color as early as the alklyd product. I beleive its warrantied for 12 years not to fade.

Old 10-09-04, 10:31 PM
J
I agree with PBTroy with the suggestion that you try using the semi transparant on a piece of scrap cedar and then coat with the solid color TWP as it may not work as well as you hope. The TWP states on the can the surface needs to be weathered so it can soak in. I tried it on a deck that was currently sealed well, at the customers insistance, and had to wipe it off with laquer thinner as it sat on the surface, and was dangerous, it was so slippery. Since you just sealed it, it may be a problem. Testing might help you judge whether to proceed.

Old 10-10-04, 05:29 PM
P
Excellent point Bt Jeff that I neglected to mention as far as the weathering goes

Old 10-11-04, 10:34 AM
K
Thanks

Finally decided on a solid color stain(Sherwinn Williams). The overhangs are still going to be done with TWP.

Actually, I prefer the solid color over the semi, it looks uniform and covers the knots etc...

We are spraying and then brushing it into the wood. On the new cedar, we are using the TWP as a primer/base coat and then covering with the solid color stain.

It all looks pretty good to me and is warrantied for 8 years, well after the time I expect to be living here.