Desperately need help with ceiling paint!

Old 10-07-04, 10:51 AM
steveswife
Visiting Guest
Desperately need help with ceiling paint!

I'm about at my wits end with the basement ceiling. We removed a drop ceiling. Had a drywaller out to repair 2 very large holes and spackle/sand many nail holes. I've applied 2 coats of primer and still have the shiny/flat surfaces peeking thru... apparently, I've used the incorrect roller cover... should've used a 3/4 nap but was told by the guy at Home Depot to use a fine finish nap. UGH...

Anyways, I'm considering using a fine sand additive to the ceiling paint to conceal some of the imperfections.

I have popcorn ceilings in my upstairs and HATE them.. I am afraid to use any type of texture on the ceiling because I don't want the popcorn look!

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-04, 03:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am assuming the areas repaired are flat appearing? The mud soaks in the paint and leaves a dull finish. Spot only the flat areas a few times with the primer and get enough on (3/4" nap laid heavy). That should get everything fairly equal in gloss. If you paint it in flat it should not be noticeable, semigloss will show a small difference in gloss. If using semi gloss spot the dull areas first then do the whole thing, this will make it more even. Using a 1 &1/4" nap and laying it out thick will give "waves" ( a slight texture).