problem color too bright

Old 10-08-04, 10:44 AM
rhonda roles
Visiting Guest
Question problem color too bright

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I painted my dining room a very bright gold and apposing wall a color called "henna", it's a plum color. The colors are TOO bright for the area. I am wondering if there is a glaze, or some type of wash I could go over the colors. I am looking for a more mutted, or softer feel. Any suggestions would be apprecitated.

Thanks

Last edited by rhonda roles; 10-08-04 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-04, 02:53 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We just had a similar post and I'm afraid the best solution is to redo it. When using colors like this you are lucky if you only have to do it twice.

Annette and others have recommended that you pick a sample of the color you think you want, then you would usually go one chip lighter, paint a large poster with some sample paint and view it in the room with the correct lighting etc. This is about as close as you can get w/o painting the entire room. What I'm describing here is for the first try - you now know you have to go lighter, the only question is how much.

When I first painted my house with colors from the red family I learned the hard way that somewhat muddy, muted colors work best in that family (unless they are very light). Bathrooms are the exception - I painted my bathroom with a burgundy red and it's my favorite room in the whole house.

Old 10-12-04, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes, lighter & muddier that what you think you want, will turn out more like what you want!

good advice too late.....sorry!

you're going to have to cover the entire surface with something or other - the easiest solution is another coat of a lighter/muddier color. glazes are tricky because you're trying to coat it with something that's translucent & it becomes a science project! just repaint. if you're happy with the darkness/lightness of your colors, but they're just too bright, go muddier (ie grayer/browner).

good luck!