Preparing door jambs for paint

Old 10-17-04, 02:55 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Preparing door jambs for paint

I have a number of door jambs with 50 years worth of dings and many coats of paint. All of the paint is in good shape, no chips or flakes. I will give them a light sanding but also wanted to fill the dings with some type of wood filler that will adhere to the old paint and withstand future abuse.

Any suggestions?

DavidJ

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-04, 06:02 PM
J
I like bondo for a strong material for wood rebuilding on sills,etc. You have to sand thoughly with 40g or 60g. in area to be filled, clean with orange cleaner,or fantastic,or? Mix up golf ball size amount of filler and work it with plastic spreader till smooth. In 10-15 min. or sooner (scratch with finger nail) sand off almost flat with a rubber sanding block with 80g. Finish sand with an orbital with 100 or 120g. Spot prime a couple of times and sand with 180g. by hand. Now ready for semigloss. Sounds like a lot of work to restore mouldings especially on very small dings. Sometimes I use a razor blade perpandicular to the surface as a spreader as it leaves the bondo almost flush and far less sanding. You have to work quick to do a lot of dings before plastic set up so small amount works best. I find wood putty dries up very quickly and is quite grainy and not as smooth.

Old 10-19-04, 08:38 PM
D
Thanks,
That is just the answer I was looking for.

DavidJ