Can I paint a Fiberglass shower stall?

Old 10-18-04, 04:14 AM
myfirsthome
Visiting Guest
Can I paint a Fiberglass shower stall?

Hello everyone,

I have a tiny bathroom off of my bedroom in which the previous owners installed horrible Robin's egg blue fiberglass shower stall and toilet. The toilet is an easy fix........but the shower is a one piece which my husband said would be very hard to get out of the room.

My question is can the shower stall be painted and if so is it a difficult job?
I don't know if I can live with this blue for the rest of my life....... ...
not to mention possible resale value down the road! Of course there may be that one in a hundred that likes the blue...what's my chances of finding them??....lol

Thank you in advance for your input.

Old 10-18-04, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My initial answer would be no. Be hard to get a paint to stick to it. But, you could use a 2-part epoxy type paint, only thing is its tough to use, smells horrendous, and requires a bit of prep.

Old 10-18-04, 06:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would rather paint fiberglass than a porceline fixture. They sell bathtub refinishing kits at H.D. (they are epoxy as PWG says). The tub pro refinishers use Urethane systems. I would clean it well with TSP and wash it down with mineral spirits (paint thinner), let dry then paint with the kit.

Old 10-18-04, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
myfirsthome,

Epoxy, if the surface were prepared properly would be a good finish for your enclosure, except the activator for epoxies is quite hazardous.

The problem you will be faced with is applying the paint in an enclosed space without proper ventilation and an air supplied respirator.

A few dead brain cells may make hiring it out to someone with the proper equipment worthwhile.

Old 10-19-04, 08:58 AM
myfirsthome
Visiting Guest
thank you all for your advice......I think what brain cells I have left I want to keep.......(hubby doesn't have any to spare either).......think I'll look into getting a professional....good advice..believe or not I never even thought of that. told you I had no brain cells to spare...wasn't kidding...

thank you all again

Old 04-03-08, 09:23 PM
B
Originally Posted by myfirsthome View Post
thank you all for your advice......I think what brain cells I have left I want to keep.......(hubby doesn't have any to spare either).......think I'll look into getting a professional....good advice..believe or not I never even thought of that. told you I had no brain cells to spare...wasn't kidding...

thank you all again
hello, i am in the same situation as you are, lol, i also have a robin's egg blue fiberglass shower stall and will be remodeling very soon and do not want to replace this stall because it is NEW condition, i am also wondering if this can be repainted and with lasting results. would you please let me know how you solved this same problem and if you were successful in getting a reliable inexpensive solution as to whether this is a possible thing to achieve with the same fiberglass shower stall. I look forward to hearing from you soon, thank you in advance, debbie

Old 04-04-08, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good morning Debbie and welcome to the forums.

I think there is no permanent DIY fix for the shower stall. If you are going to be remodeling, anyway, you might consider removing the stall and donating to some worthy group like Habitat for Humanity.

The materials for replacing the fiberglass with tile are not very expensive, if you DIY. Paid tile work is expensive, but will last a lifetime.

You may start your own thread by clicking the blue button that reads "new post"...the date of a post is shown in the upper left. To reply, just use the "reply" tab.

Connie

Old 04-04-08, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by myfirsthome View Post
The toilet is an easy fix........but the shower is a one piece which my husband said would be very hard to get out of the room.
You have to cut this in half. Saws-all works well. Other wise this kit for shower stalls mentioned here should do the trick. I have never painted fiberglass before.

Old 04-04-08, 03:06 PM
K
The correct "paint" for fibreglass is "gelcoat". That's what the shower has on now, to give the colour and smooth finish. It's a normal application for anybody with fibreglass experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: